No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

49 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I think this is half the problem with the IOM. You can’t do anything without needing a permit or it costing you money so then people end up going to isolated places like this to have a night away. 

But you needed a permit for the Ayers. Trouble is no one ever checked and no one did owt if you didn't get one. Making the whole thing a bit of a charade.

It's a bit like parking permits have become in Douglas. You need to have one. But if you don't have one no one gives a toss. This CSs are employed to administer a disc parking system that is not enforced. 

It's a little bit crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

But you needed a permit for the Ayers. Trouble is no one ever checked and no one did owt if you didn't get one. Making the whole thing a bit of a charade.

It's a bit like parking permits have become in Douglas. You need to have one. But if you don't have one no one gives a toss. This CSs are employed to administer a disc parking system that is not enforced. 

It's a little bit crazy.

They do enforce the residents parking permits as I’ve seen plenty of tickets on cars in residential areas where they’ve either not got a permit or forgot to put it in windows 

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's a little bit crazy.

Perhaps because enforcing them costs money, particularly if matters get to the legal stage? Whereas issuing them is largely about receiving revenue.

Public employees playing at being businessmen again.

13 hours ago, Banker said:

They do enforce the residents parking permits as I’ve seen plenty of tickets on cars in residential areas where they’ve either not got a permit or forgot to put it in windows 

I haven't seen any tickets or traffic wardens for weeks. Perhaps you live in the same zone as @Chris Thomas. Last time I saw a warden I asked him why he wasn't ticketing all the vans that have been parked for weeks and never move. He said he had make a note and was going to come back and ticket them. He didn't. They are all still there. There is a guy up the road with a massive lwb transit. I asked him if he ever got tickets. He said he had 2 last year. He appealed both saying he was working at the house. They were both cancelled. He also said that he is happy to pay £60 now and again as its the cheapest storage rate on the Island. 

you only have to drive around town at night,        UK registered large vans all over the place ,one near where I live has been there  for 11 months now ,there cant be that much of a queue at the test centre   there should be no high sided vans and large campers parked in residential areas  with a 30 mph speed limit     overnight  ,  never seen estate roads so congested with vehicles , maybe we should be like Bermuda  one vehicle per household   ,and if you want any additional  then you pay a significant premium , also  too many houses with  front gardens  being  turned into parking  which is ruining  the quality of life and the environment ,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

you only have to drive around town at night,        UK registered large vans all over the place ,one near where I live has been there  for 11 months now ,there cant be that much of a queue at the test centre   there should be no high sided vans and large campers parked in residential areas  with a 30 mph speed limit     overnight  ,  never seen estate roads so congested with vehicles , maybe we should be like Bermuda  one vehicle per household   ,and if you want any additional  then you pay a significant premium , also  too many houses with  front gardens  being  turned into parking  which is ruining  the quality of life and the environment ,

If we're going to be like Bermuda, can we start with the weather?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The losses incurred in Govt running the Claddaghs as a camping "facility", as outed via an FOI request (?) a few months back speaks volumes for what happens when Govt. gets its fingers involved in anything "leisure".

Costs of £49k, to include "security" by G4S who must be laughing their arses off, against @ £7k raised in revenue by permit issues.

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The Claddaghs used to be a big favourite when I was young for camping etc. you just rocked up and it was great, camper vans , tents anything and then it got taken over and permits were needed  and it just wasn’t the same.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The losses incurred in Govt running the Claddaghs as a camping "facility", as outed via an FOI request (?) a few months back speaks volumes for what happens when Govt. gets its fingers involved in anything "leisure".

Costs of £49k, to include "security" by G4S who must be laughing their arses off, against @ £7k raised in revenue by permit issues.

I might be wrong but I think you have needed a permit for over 10 years. What changed is that they started charging for the permit about 3 years ago. They also employed G4S instead of a directly employed Warden.

Not sure what I think about Sulby, but I'll bet any money DEFA haven't thought about what's going to happen now that the Ayres is banned. It will be mobbed this summer if we get good weather again.🤣