No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

As someone said a few spoiling it for the rest. Last year I drove through the Claddaghs with one camper parked up then later I was up the Point and there were 54. most behaving like good citizens but a few ignore the concrete blocks and signs and drive round them. I watched a family (not chavs) set fire to a tent and rubbish and then drive off. Pic ! Cops weren't interested, not our dep't syndrome.

FB_IMG_1672909149917.jpg

35 minutes ago, Thorulf said:

As someone said a few spoiling it for the rest. Last year I drove through the Claddaghs with one camper parked up then later I was up the Point and there were 54. most behaving like good citizens but a few ignore the concrete blocks and signs and drive round them. I watched a family (not chavs) set fire to a tent and rubbish and then drive off. Pic ! Cops weren't interested, not our dep't syndrome.

FB_IMG_1672909149917.jpg

and that's why motorhomes are now banned , there is never a shortage of selfish wankers rushing to fuck things up for the decent people.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WTF said:

and that's why motorhomes are now banned , there is never a shortage of selfish wankers rushing to fuck things up for the decent people.

Whilst agreeing with you about the selfish onanists, their behaviour is merely the catalyst that allowed those in IoMG to ban something else that they already wanted to ban. The reason for the ban is piss-poor government judgement. It's the same sort of authoritarian stupidity we saw when they banned motorcycling at Snuff-the-Wind. Let's see which 'other people's pleasures' they seek to ban next.

• Like 1

I listened to a couple of clips of MHK Michelle Haywood from yesterday's Mannin Line.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/van-ban-at-ayres-put-in-place-to-stop-the-systematic-damage-of-special-eco-system/

It seems the justification for the ban on motorhomes being allowed to overnight at the Ayres has shifted from antisocial behaviour (perhaps they realise that it is not the motorhomes who are responsible for that) to almost purely to protect the environment. Ms Heywood described how some creatures live in a very thin layer of soil on top of the sand dunes and swhen vehicles drive over them they can be damaged.

Now, I'm no naturalist or botanist, but I cannot see how allowing motorhomes up onto the Ayres during the day only, is such a big difference to allowing them to overnight. In any event, I've not seen any motorhomes driving over the dunes (who on earth would do that). The motorhomes drive over the grass between the dunes to find a suitable flat space to park.

If driving over the grassy areas at the Ayres is such a detriment to the wildlife, ban it to all vehicles all of the time.

It doesn't make sense.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I listened to a couple of clips of MHK Michelle Haywood from yesterday's Mannin Line.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/van-ban-at-ayres-put-in-place-to-stop-the-systematic-damage-of-special-eco-system/

It seems the justification for the ban on motorhomes being allowed to overnight at the Ayres has shifted from antisocial behaviour (perhaps they realise that it is not the motorhomes who are responsible for that) to almost purely to protect the environment. Ms Heywood described how some creatures live in a very thin layer of soil on top of the sand dunes and swhen vehicles drive over them they can be damaged.

Now, I'm no naturalist or botanist, but I cannot see how allowing motorhomes up onto the Ayres during the day only, is such a big difference to allowing them to overnight. In any event, I've not seen any motorhomes driving over the dunes (who on earth would do that). The motorhomes drive over the grass between the dunes to find a suitable flat space to park.

If driving over the grassy areas at the Ayres is such a detriment to the wildlife, ban it to all vehicles all of the time.

It doesn't make sense.

DEFA job/post justification.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

It doesn't make sense.

yeah thats what i was thinking as well. either allow campers or don't allow them. maybe they are hoping it will discoruage them full stop but i can't see that happening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

It doesn't make sense.

It never made sense. Its bullshit. As you say ban all vehicles or allow some vehicles. Whether its day or night makes sod all difference. 

What a pathetic attempt at justifying it

• Like 5

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

It doesn't make sense.

and of course at night the motorhomes aren't actually driving at all, they are parked up

• Like 4