No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

7 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Staged ? Van looks spotless considering the wheel spinning it must have been doing to dig itself in that deep. 

I thought that too, there's no way a spinning wheel with a road tyre like that would dig a hole like that in the sandy ground of the Ayres either. Look at the way the sand at the side of the hole nearest the camera has been thrown out towards the camera. Even on full lock the vehicle wouldn't do that. It looks like the hole has been dug then the vehicle positioned on to it.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, Happier diner said:

I haven't seen any tickets or traffic wardens for weeks. Perhaps you live in the same zone as @Chris Thomas. Last time I saw a warden I asked him why he wasn't ticketing all the vans that have been parked for weeks and never move. He said he had make a note and was going to come back and ticket them. He didn't. They are all still there. There is a guy up the road with a massive lwb transit. I asked him if he ever got tickets. He said he had 2 last year. He appealed both saying he was working at the house. They were both cancelled. He also said that he is happy to pay £60 now and again as its the cheapest storage rate on the Island. 

Enforcement is increasing. Discussions taking place with local authorities about new vans regulations which can be made under existing law, but several did not seem to think it was necessary to have them.

• Thanks 1

there should be no large camper vans or large commercial vehicles parked in residential estates 30 MPH  zones , overnight , thats what the law currently says ,and like a lot of other issues  currently  no one in authority takes the least bit of notice , and regarding fines for parking , hold them against the registration  and owner of the vehicle ,  no fines paid  vehicle cant be taxed and effectivly removed from the road until outstanding fines paid , or following  a period of notice seize the vehicle and scrap it , 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Omobono said:

there should be no large camper vans or large commercial vehicles parked in residential estates 30 MPH  zones , overnight , thats what the law currently says ,and like a lot of other issues  currently  no one in authority takes the least bit of notice , and regarding fines for parking , hold them against the registration  and owner of the vehicle ,  no fines paid  vehicle cant be taxed and effectivly removed from the road until outstanding fines paid , or following  a period of notice seize the vehicle and scrap it , 

Where does the law say this?

Genuine question. I didnt think it did. 

53 minutes ago, Omobono said:

How about a large commercial vehicle. Parked on a double yellow line in a disc zone. 965 hours over the 2 hours. No disc even shown. Been reported. Still there. Where do you draw the line @wrighty

Edited by Happier diner

it's a fact,  vehicles above a certain weight and height , are illegal to park in residential areas overnight its already in the highways legislation ,not sure of the weight but the height limit is 2.5 mitres .  few years ago the police used to have a purge and issue tickets ,  but we have the trait to be continuing to introduce new legislation  when we dont actually implement whats already  on the statute books , 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

How about a large commercial vehicle. Parked on a double yellow line in a disc zone. 965 hours over the 2 hours. No disc even shown. Been reported. Still there. Where do you draw the line @wrighty

I'd draw the line way before that.  There was a Range Rover parked up in Ramsey by the hospital for months with a completely flat tyre and an expired tax disc.  I suspect it belonged to one of those folk who 'live here' for tax purposes and free healthcare but actually spend most of their time in Spain.  I'd have put tickets on that daily for a few weeks, and if not contacted by the owners have it towed away and impounded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

it's a fact,  vehicles above a certain weight and height , are illegal to park in residential areas overnight its already in the highways legislation ,not sure of the weight but the height limit is 2.5 mitres .  few years ago the police used to have a purge and issue tickets ,  but we have the trait to be continuing to introduce new legislation  when we dont actually implement whats already  on the statute books , 

Can you provide a reference? I know that vehicles over 3.5t are not allowed anymore. Not that it stops anyone.

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

as a van owner, albeit a small one at the moment (van, not owner), I can see both points of view. You have to be careful not to punish working people for not having the privilege of a drive. 

I don't think anyone begrudges the one man business with a car size van. However on brunswick Rd there is a painter and decorator with 2× 6m transits and a 6m hoist lift parked there taking up pretty much 5 or 6spaces. Oppostite him is a guy with a 7m sprinter. IMV that's antisocial. 

• Like 1

This place is becoming less tolerant tolerant by the day, Christ knows what it'll be like when we import 15K more people who don't really want to be here, especially as they'll be almost all from the UK, one of the least tolerant, most over-regulated countries on the planet.

Do we really need to be as possessive as something as irrelevant as a parking space, live and let live guys, a five minute walk won't do you any harm. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

This place is becoming less tolerant tolerant by the day, Christ knows what it'll be like when we import 15K more people who don't really want to be here, especially as they'll be almost all from the UK, one of the least tolerant, most over-regulated countries on the planet.

Do we really need to be as possessive as something as irrelevant as a parking space, live and let live guys, a five minute walk won't do you any harm. 

That's the trouble though. People won't walk 5mins. They won't walk 5metres. If they can't park their vehicles within a metre of so of their front gate They park illegally.

• Like 1