Douglas Council to investigate 'corruption' allegations

HelmutX

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Hasn't that top 5 reasons video actually inspired people to move? I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

I've had numerous people contact me to say the videos helped them make a decision. Despite all the money being thrown at locate dot im and all the other IOMG stuff, they often fail to answer simple questions that people who are thinking of moving here might have. Seems my stuff is filling that niche and I'm happy it helps. I've also brought business to the island myself and have helped to create or directly created at least a dozen jobs. I still continue to promote the island during my day job and with my videos that are still only a hobby. 

Roundel Live is a fun project and a bit of a test run for the new facility we are fortunate enough to be able to use. You ain't seen nothing yet as there's much more to come. There's also a massive gap in the local news lineup for actual news that goes further than court write ups and copying press releases word for word. We aim to address that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

There's also a massive gap in the local news lineup for actual news that goes further than court write ups and copying press releases word for word.

But will that include honest and accurate news about the failings of DBC? 

Edited by MrGarrison
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

That'll not work well with your election aspirations!

What election aspirations? I have no aspirations to be an MLC or MHK and you can quote me on that. Never say never in the distant future but right now I have a career in the private sector and it wouldn't even make any sense to abandon that for a stint in the wedding cake. Maybe in twenty years when I'm retired, but I may not even be here anymore. 

8 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

But will that include honest and accurate news about the failings of DBC? 

Yes. As much as I can within the framework while I am a councillor and probably quite a bit more when I'm not anymore. I don't even know if I'm going to stand again right now. I am not happy about the way a number of things are being handled at town hall (and I'm not the only one) but there's always a balance to be aimed for and rules to be observed. Being too forceful right now may close more doors than it opens, frustrating as that may be at times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

What election aspirations? I have no aspirations to be an MLC or MHK and you can quote me on that. Never say never in the distant future but right now I have a career in the private sector and it wouldn't even make any sense to abandon that for a stint in the wedding cake. Maybe in twenty years when I'm retired, but I may not even be here anymore. 

Well just a bit of friendly advice is not to rock the boat if you want to get on here!

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Think of the cushty pay and pension though!

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Yes. As much as I can within the framework while I am a councillor and probably quite a bit more when I'm not anymore. I don't even know if I'm going to stand again right now. I am not happy about the way a number of things are being handled at town hall (and I'm not the only one) but there's always a balance to be aimed for and rules to be observed. Being too forceful right now may close more doors than it opens, frustrating as that may be at times. 

Whilst we have your attention, what is going on with building control?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Think of the cushty pay and pension though!

This is the issue with being an MHK or MLC.

There are people who think these salary is good, but they are generally people who earn a lot less that the 70ish k an MHK gets.  We really want people standing and being elected who already earn more than that, but why would the decent people take a pay cut and risk screwing their career up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

This is the issue with being an MHK or MLC.

There are people who think these salary is good, but they are generally people who earn a lot less that the 70ish k an MHK gets.  We really want people standing and being elected who already earn more than that, but why would the decent people take a pay cut and risk screwing their career up?

What is the direct relationship between earning more than £70k and being able to do the job of MHK well?