Free television licence for over 75 pensioners

Moghrey Mie

£150 is a lot of money to a some pensioners and you are lucky you have the means to speak as if it is small change.   My Sky got knocked on the head years ago when it became unaffordable and it was £17 a month in those days.    I very rarely watch BBC the news is debatable and your suggestion that it is increased is ridiculous.   I am very grateful for my free TV licence.   People like you who are obviously loaded and have no thought for anyone who is struggling along make me sick.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

£150 is a lot of money to a some pensioners and you are lucky you have the means to speak as if it is small change.   My Sky got knocked on the head years ago when it became unaffordable and it was £17 a month in those days.    I very rarely watch BBC the news is debatable and your suggestion that it is increased is ridiculous.   I am very grateful for my free TV licence.   People like you who are obviously loaded and have no thought for anyone who is struggling along make me sick.

Yes there is a case for over 75’s getting their TV licence for free. I don’t have a problem with that and when I reach that age I will be similarly grateful.

My response was to Passing Times suggestion that the TV licence should be scrapped for all.

I am obviously loaded because I can afford to spend £3 a week on a TV licence? Less than a pint of beer or a return trip from Ramsey to Laxey on the bus.

You crack on being sick.

Edited to add, forget about the bus trip comparison. I believe people over 75  ( or a bit younger) get free travel.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last sentence
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When Sky memberships are what £80 a month (?)for the crap they put out isn’t there a case for actually increasing the BBC  licence fee?

But that’s a choice if you want sky or any other pay tv. However the beeb isn’t a choice it’s a tax and you will be criminalised if you don’t pay. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

But that’s a choice if you want sky or any other pay tv. However the beeb isn’t a choice it’s a tax and you will be criminalised if you don’t pay. 

Well no, there’s always these bar room lawyers telling you how you can wriggle out of it. 

Being realistic it’s £3 a week which gets you a platform to use other services. What percentage of the population never ever watch the BBC (including iplayer). 

Next to none I would suggest. People trying to be clever who want to get something for nothing.

There’s a lot more injustice ( if you choose to see it as that) in the world to get wound up about

Even listening to BBC radio ( which doesn’t require a licence fee) but still costs to run needs paying for, even to listen to that dreadful Jeremy Vine show.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well no, there’s always these bar room lawyers telling you how you can wriggle out of it. 

Being realistic it’s £3 a week which gets you a platform to use other services. What percentage of the population never ever watch the BBC (including iplayer). 

Next to none I would suggest. People trying to be clever who want to get something for nothing.

There’s a lot more injustice ( if you choose to see it as that) in the world to get wound up about

Even listening to BBC radio ( which doesn’t require a licence fee) but still costs to run needs paying for, even to listen to that dreadful Jeremy Vine show.

Better than listening to the Wint fella on Manx Radio 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why?

I think it’s incredibly good value.

I watch the Attenborough nature stuff, the BBC dramas,the BBC news. Match of the day etc

OK stuff like Antique Roadshow and EastEnders aren’t my cup of tea.

But it’s what £150 a year or something? . I really don’t understand those that try to find some sort of loophole. Like I’m watching it on I player so I shouldn’t have to pay. I don’t know whether that’s a valid let out legally but it’s certainly the last refuge of scoundrels.

When Sky memberships are what £80 a month (?)for the crap they put out isn’t there a case for actually increasing the BBC  licence fee?

Why should we subsidise the obscene salaries that the been give to their employees. ITV and the other commercial channels produce just as many good programmes. Tell Linekar et al to jog on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Better than listening to the Wint fella on Manx Radio 

The Julian and Bonzo show....Wint was away again today.

10 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Why should we subsidise the obscene salaries that the been give to their employees.

I agree. No-one is worth the reported salaries. On top of which, some of them are involved in "tax efficient " schemes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

Why should we subsidise the obscene salaries that the been give to their employees. ITV and the other commercial channels produce just as many good programmes. Tell Linekar et al to jog on.

Well you don’t have to. Just make sure you don’t watch any programme produced or replicated from the BBC.

Its your choice. Stop moaning.

• Sad 1

How many people actually get done for not having a TV licence? I can't recall to many.

When I moved into my new place there was a letter for the occupier that informed me my details had been passed onto the enforcement agency in Northern Ireland. Now 1 they didn't have my details as I'd not even moved in and 2 is it likely someone from Northern Ireland is going to come and check on me?

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you don’t have to. Just make sure you don’t watch any programme produced or replicated from the BBC.

Its your choice. Stop moaning.

Who are you, the feckin BBC police. Jog on son and pay for it if you want, on a voluntary basis and not to be forced to pay for it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

How many people actually get done for not having a TV licence? I can't recall to many.

When I moved into my new place there was a letter for the occupier that informed me my details had been passed onto the enforcement agency in Northern Ireland. Now 1 they didn't have my details as I'd not even moved in and 2 is it likely someone from Northern Ireland is going to come and check on me?

Even if they did send somebody around, they have no powers to enter your property. JW may be able to expand on this.

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

Who knows.

But if you watch the BBC you need a licence.  End of