Free television licence for over 75 pensioners

Moghrey Mie

Just now, Passing Time said:

Even if they did send somebody around, they have no powers to enter your property. JW may be able to expand on this.

FFS if you watch television. And please let’s be honest, at least some of that will be watching the BBC. 

Even if they have no powers  to enter the property why not let them ?. I doubt they would smash up all your furniture or set the place on fire.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

FFS if you watch television. And please let’s be honest, at least some of that will be watching the BBC. 

Even if they have no powers  to enter the property why not let them ?. I doubt they would smash up all your furniture or set the place on fire.

Okay then, let’s put a spin on this. If you watch BBC via sky channels then why should you pay extra for a licence. Surely the £xx you pay sky should cover the cost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Who are you, the feckin BBC police. Jog on son and pay for it if you want, on a voluntary basis and not to be forced to pay for it

No I’m not the  BBC police ( no need for profanity). I watch the BBC and happy to pay £ 3.00 a month for it. It’s not voluntary its a payment for a service. Do you pay your gas/ electricity bill because you think it’s voluntary ( you get your tv licence for free, what on earth are you moaning about?)

My brother in law has never paid for a tv licence as he never watches anything but streamed programmes. He gets a reminder every year and he throws it in the bin. His TV is only connected to the router.

Never been visited by the BBC. He has told them once how he watched his television. Not one to repeat himself.

Retired Police Inspector. So is his wife. No messing.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I’m not the  BBC police ( no need for profanity). I watch the BBC and happy to pay £ 3.00 a month for it. It’s not voluntary its a payment for a service. Do you pay your gas/ electricity bill because you think it’s voluntary ( you get your tv licence for free, what on earth are you moaning about?)

Good for you. Carry on subsidising an archaic system. I won’t be

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Apple said:

My brother in law has never paid for a tv licence as he never watches anything but streamed programmes. He gets a reminder every year and he throws it in the bin. His TV is only connected to the router.

Never been visited by the BBC. He has told them once how he watched his television. Not one to repeat himself.

Retired Police Inspector. So is his wife. No messing.

So he’s never watched for example, David Attenborough programmes , Match of the Day, dramas etc. 

Is he proud of himself for not contributing to the cost of programs that the rest of  us TV licence payer enjoy?

Im sure that's a question he would gladly answer himself but Im not sure he would be bothered to.

He really though does have several things he is proud of but can't talk about them. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

will do. And you will still be watching the channels I subsidise

..and the salaries and 'perks' of those who in the most part present programmes like The One Show that promotes the BBC itself, their programmes and themselves. Some of which are quite patronising and condescending in my opinion.

Got a book or a film to promote - get a seat on a BBC chat show and plug it for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Apple said:

..and the salaries and 'perks' of those who in the most part present programmes like The One Show that promotes the BBC itself, their programmes and themselves. Some of which are quite patronising and condescending in my opinion.

Got a book or a film to promote - get a seat on a BBC chat show and plug it for free.

Yes that it quite irritating. But that in itself is not a reason for abolishing the TV licence fee.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Its bias is as irritating as its condescension. As is its championing of 'diversity.' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the licence for having 'receiving equipment'?  I.e. capable of receiving output from the BBC rather than whether you actually watch it?

As for the Sky argument, that only works if Sky pay the BBC to carry its channels surely?  (Not sure how Sky works with the channels it carries.) 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Isn't the licence for having 'receiving equipment'?  I.e. capable of receiving output from the BBC rather than whether you actually watch it?

As for the Sky argument, that only works if Sky pay the BBC to carry its channels surely?  (Not sure how Sky works with the channels it carries.) 

A TV Licence covers you to:

• watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat)
  • watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go)
  • use BBC iPlayer [A licence is not needed to watch S4C programmes on demand].

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 for colour TV, and £53.50 for black and white.

At one stage you didn't need it to watch iPlayer or other streaming services - the criterion was whether you were watching TV live.  But that was changed and some people may not have realised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1