Assisted Dying Leaflet published by ?

Harry Lamb

One has dropped through my letterbox. The leaflet advances a number of arguments against assisted dying, and urges readers to 'make (your) voice heard' on the subject. The publishers are very coy about identifying themselves. 'This leaflet is brought to you by Manx Duty of Care' - who they? There are links to assisteddyinginnumbers.org, which is similarly coy and a FB page Assisted Dying IOM, and something else calling itself Isle of Man Care for the Vulnerable in Dying. I have no strong views on the subject, but I find it odd that people who clearly do are so shy and protective of their identities. It's all quite well-presented, too and must have cost a bit.

1 minute ago, Harry Lamb said:

One has dropped through my letterbox. The leaflet advances a number of arguments against assisted dying, and urges readers to 'make (your) voice heard' on the subject. The publishers are very coy about identifying themselves. 'This leaflet is brought to you by Manx Duty of Care' - who they? There are links to assisteddyinginnumbers.org, which is similarly coy and a FB page Assisted Dying IOM, and something else calling itself Isle of Man Care for the Vulnerable in Dying. I have no strong views on the subject, but I find it odd that people who clearly do are so shy and protective of their identities. It's all quite well-presented, too and must have cost a bit.

It's all a cunning propaganda ploy by Manx Care to reduce the number of people dependant on medical services over here. 

Or for those who have tried to get an appointment for something simple and slowly lost the will to live in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

It won’t be too hard identifying who are against this possible proposed policy. Most likely religious, church dwelling types, those in particular that object to TT racing on a Sunday. I have no objection to people declaring their displeasure or opposition, but by not declaring publicly who they are, or at least faces/names behind the organisation, they are hiding behind a veil. Have they got something to hide, or are some unsavoury characters involved in their campaign - could result in unfavourable negative publicity?

• Like 2

We wouldn’t let a dog or a hamster suffer, so why should we make a human suffer? People, even terminally ill, can endure enormous suffering before they’re finally actually dead. Whilst being ravaged by whatever disease. It’s harrowing for the dying and their loved ones. 

There absolutely should be appropriate safeguards in place, and not everyone will want it, but those who do should have the option to go on their terms. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

We wouldn’t let a dog or a hamster suffer, so why should we make a human suffer? People, even terminally ill, can endure enormous suffering before they’re finally actually dead. Whilst being ravaged by whatever disease. It’s harrowing for the dying and their loved ones. 

There absolutely should be appropriate safeguards in place, and not everyone will want it, but those who do should have the option to go on their terms. 

yes, but it doesn't keep a lot of medical staff employed, it is whole industry i  itself ,  we have to suffer for as long as possible to maintain jobs you know.

18 minutes ago, WTF said:

19 minutes ago, WTF said:
22 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

yes, but it doesn't keep a lot of medical staff employed, it is whole industry i  itself ,  we have to suffer for as long as possible to maintain jobs you know.

Crass.

• Like 1

What tends to happen is that groups like this throw out lots of very emotive scare stories. Whilst failing to acknowledge that assisted dying is a personal choice - they are perfectly entitled to their beliefs and do not have to partake. 
Having seen my FIL have to take his life, alone and safeguarding his children, I have absolutely no time for such a view. Compassion would have been allowing him to have help and his loved ones with him. He had painful incurable cancer. He had served his country in WWII, and he had to die alone after a worthy and fulfilling life. 

End of rant. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

What tends to happen is that groups like this throw out lots of very emotive scare stories. Whilst failing to acknowledge that assisted dying is a personal choice - they are perfectly entitled to their beliefs and do not have to partake. 
Having seen my FIL have to take his life, alone and safeguarding his children, I have absolutely no time for such a view. Compassion would have been allowing him to have help and his loved ones with him. He had painful incurable cancer. He had served his country in WWII, and he had to die alone after a worthy and fulfilling life. 

End of rant. 

You've not been here long. That's not a rant....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2