Assisted Dying Leaflet published by ?

Harry Lamb

Just now, Cinderella said:

I would suggest you check. Literally just been through this as now POA for my mum. I can make decisions on her finances - not medical decisions. 

Of course financial decisions may include things like care home. But NOT medical choices. I was frustrated that Advance Directive not law here - wanted her to be able to direct her wishes as she is very clear on them. But will have to rely on goodwill of all concerned if difficult choices come up later.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

I would suggest you check. Literally just been through this as now POA for my mum. I can make decisions on her finances - not medical decisions. 

No, you are right, it only covers financial matters.  However, as her next of kin, the care home asked me to sign a DNR form.  

Just now, Gladys said:

No, you are right, it only covers financial matters.  However, as her next of kin, the care home asked me to sign a DNR form.  

Mum had already organised this with her GP - was very determined on that one! It is awful having to go through all this - easier to pretend it will never happen. But I think she actually found the conversations eased her mind - she feels she has prepared best she can.

9 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Mum had already organised this with her GP - was very determined on that one! It is awful having to go through all this - easier to pretend it will never happen. But I think she actually found the conversations eased her mind - she feels she has prepared best she can.

It is awful, I fully sympathise.  Unfortunately, a stroke impaired Mum and determining her wishes was not easy. 

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Pretty sure the enduring poa I had covered medical matters too.  

I don't think that is the case. In the IoM an enduring poa allows others to manage financial affairs and property. If/when the person loses mental capacity, the enduring poa has to be registered with the court in order for it to continue. The situation in the UK is different where they have Lasting Powers of Attorney. There are 2 types, one covering health and welfare decisions and the second covering financial and property related decisions

ETA I should have read your later post first!

Edited by Newbie
  • Thanks 1

That leaflet went straight into the recycling. I think it improper for the Government to allow such things to be delivered with the post, at my expense.

As for abortion, should this not be allowed when a woman has been the victim of a rapist? Allowing such a child to join humanity is allowing evil genes to be propagated.

9 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I don't think that is the case. In the IoM an enduring poa allows others to manage financial affairs and property. If/when the person loses mental capacity, the enduring poa has to be registered with the court in order for it to continue. The situation in the UK is different where they have Lasting Powers of Attorney. There are 2 types, one covering health and welfare decisions and the second covering financial and property related decisions

ETA I should have read your later post first!

No problem.  I was aware of a similar situation in the UK which did cover medical matters and thought the POA I had covered the same.  In the event, I never needed it. 

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

As for abortion, should this not be allowed when a woman has been the victim of a rapist? Allowing such a child to join humanity is allowing evil genes to be propagated.

The reason for allowing abortion for rape (even if amongst many who don't support a woman's right to choose) is the trauma it would inflict upon the already traumatised woman. It's not because the child is inherently evil. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

As for abortion, should this not be allowed when a woman has been the victim of a rapist?

If someone believes abortion is murdering a baby then the only logical conclusion is to have no exceptions for rape. It's not the baby/foetus' fault their dad is a rapist.

The ones who do think there should be an exception are the ones I struggle with: their motivation is seemingly about punishing the woman for daring to have sex.

I'm pro-choice, FWIW.

Edited by Ringy Rose

37 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I am fairly sure that the Post Office generates income by delivering spam.

The sooner the better the letter service will be phased out.

So you are advocating no Xmas cards.

How miserable...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

If someone believes abortion is murdering a baby then the only logical conclusion is to have no exceptions for rape. It's not the baby/foetus' fault their dad is a rapist.

The ones who do think there should be an exception are the ones I struggle with: their motivation is seemingly about punishing the woman for daring to have sex.

I'm pro-choice, FWIW.

There was a politician or at least a candidate who suggested that a woman could not get pregnant in "true" rape cases as their body would shutdown as a natural defence.

The whole pro-life is just a bunch of religious nutcases who feel the need to impose their beliefs on everyone else.

What amazes me with those in the US is that pro-life attitudes often go hand in hand with gun ownership.  Go figure....

• Like 3