Assisted Dying Leaflet published by ?

Harry Lamb

2 hours ago, Cinderella said:

All mail like this (hand delivered or Royal Mail) should have to have declaration at bottom saying who authorised it and who paid for it. This would usually concern political stuff in lead up to elections but would capture this.

If they are not prepared  be upfront with who they are, it deserves to go straight in the bin. 

I'm fairly certain that all leaflets that are delivered door-to-door, either by the Post Office, other commercial distributors (eg with the Courier) or even just going round yourself, have to have something on them saying who published and who printed them.  The problem in this case is that publication appears to be 'hidden' behind  a previously unknown organisation and no one is certain who is behind and financing that.

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

That leaflet went straight into the recycling. I think it improper for the Government to allow such things to be delivered with the post, at my expense.

Not at our expense, the Post Office charges for this service:

Door 2 Door - Leaflet and Promotional Materials Delivery Service

Whether it makes any money after they've paid for all the managers to run this is another matter.  But it's not done for free, except for one delivery each for Keys candidates.

What I can't find is whether there is a way of opting out of such deliveries, as there is in the UK

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not at our expense, the Post Office charges for this service:

Door 2 Door - Leaflet and Promotional Materials Delivery Service

Whether it makes any money after they've paid for all the managers to run this is another matter.  But it's not done for free, except for one delivery each for Keys candidates.

What I can't find is whether there is a way of opting out of such deliveries, as there is in the UK

Point taken, but as the Post Office is supported by us taxpayers, I feel that there must be some apportioned assistance.

21 hours ago, Gladys said:

Terrible issue to ponder, but if we really believe in humane arrangements for people at that awful time in their life, the debate has to be had.  

I read this last night and decided to give it more thought. 

The debate needs to be held in Tynwald to arrive at and legislate for the overarching 'rules' that would apply in cases such as the tragic ones posted on here recently.

Each set of circumstances are individual, heartbreaking and so difficult it is impossible to see how one size can fit all circumstances.

Usually, In my experience there are two main mechanisms involved:

1. Prescribing suitable medication to relieve suffering that many hasten death, and

2. Administering such medication.

The law needs to enable both mechanisms to operate without those involved facing prosecutions.

It is abut protection - for patients, medical staff and those directly involved in the patients care. Ive seen it happen and I suspect  @Gladys has as well. There is a need to expand the 'rules' to ensure people can die with dignity, not suffering and above all, never alone unless they so wish. 

I just hope our politicians can get the 'rules' right.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

So you are advocating no Xmas cards.

Fewer and fewer people still bother sending Christmas cards.

The idea of a single-price-to-anywhere letter post no longer makes sense. Letters are no longer the primary method of communications or a vital part of the national infrastructure.

Edited by genericUserName

48 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Fewer and fewer people still bother sending Christmas cards.

The idea of a single-price-to-anywhere letter post no longer makes sense. Letters are no longer the primary method of communications or a vital part of the national infrastructure.

We still live in an age where there is a deep digital divide.

Letters may be less relevant, but they have not gone anywhere yet.

The letter was posted by Dr Graham McAll - lives in Kirk Patrick.

According to Manx Radio, he was a GP and general surgeon in Sheffield. He is now retired. 

He is well known as an anti-abortion campaigner. 

He came out of retirement during Covid-19 to help with 111 on the IOM. 

Religion is a big part of his life. He is part of the Church of England. https://www.sodorandman.im/reader_ministry/

These are the only facts I know about him. I do not know him personally. I am sure there is more information online if you want to do further research.

I don't give a shit about stuff coming through my letterbox but when it's so clearly one sided and the people are hiding behind a fake organisation name that hasn't been registered anywhere, and the domain's WHOis hidden, and no website - it pisses me off. 

Edited by Antoine
Formatting
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Apple said:

I read this last night and decided to give it more thought. 

The debate needs to be held in Tynwald to arrive at and legislate for the overarching 'rules' that would apply in cases such as the tragic ones posted on here recently.

Each set of circumstances are individual, heartbreaking and so difficult it is impossible to see how one size can fit all circumstances.

Usually, In my experience there are two main mechanisms involved:

1. Prescribing suitable medication to relieve suffering that many hasten death, and

2. Administering such medication.

The law needs to enable both mechanisms to operate without those involved facing prosecutions.

It is abut protection - for patients, medical staff and those directly involved in the patients care. Ive seen it happen and I suspect  @Gladys has as well. There is a need to expand the 'rules' to ensure people can die with dignity, not suffering and above all, never alone unless they so wish. 

I just hope our politicians can get the 'rules' right.

Essentially agree with you. There is the decision process (having sufficient and thorough medical assessment to meet a terminal illness threshold) and then there is provision for the actual deed. The name ‘assisted dying’ implies someone has to physically help the person and may sometimes be the case. In my FIL case he was quite able to administer his own medication but had had to obtain it, and then die alone so he didn’t implicate his children. That was the terribly sad bit and so unnecessary as he was fully cognisant of what he was doing.

• Like 4