Assisted Dying Leaflet published by ?

Harry Lamb

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Hence my belief that the letter service should be phased out.

Technology doesn't answer all problems though.

Nobody has really got a good answer for inherent problems of privacy and integrity of emails for example. PGP isn't exactly user friendly. SPF and DKIM help reduced spoofed emails, but that's only a part of the problem.

On the other hand, people are pretty good at the concept of security for important pieces of paper.

• Like 1

Going back to assisted dying. My mother in her dying state implored me to get her some tablets she could take so she could die in peace.

She had dementia and she was mentally impaired. I was severely tempted although God knows where I would have got such tablets.

I was also approaching the end of my working life so if I had facilitated this and had been prosecuted for manslaughter, or whatever, the implications for me would  have been less bad had I been in my 20’s or 30’s. And I may have been more accepting of any punishment dealt out by a court.

As it was I had to watch my mothers slow decline and give thanks when her torment was finally over.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I get more spam from the Post Office than I ever see in email. And I do not ever see spoofed emails because my email is properly set up.

Define properly set up.

Not everyone has their SPF or DKIM records set up properly when they're sending to you, and that is beyond your control. Email providers still don't necessarily check it either on incoming mail.

Plus, email is by design insecure. Emails are sent between mailservers in plain-text. Various attempts (see STARTTLS) have been made to remedy it, but, by no means is it flawless. Nor does all email traffic use it.

End to end encryption relies on either trusting the people holding your keys, or managing your own keys. Both have their own flaws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Not everyone has their SPF or DKIM records set up properly when they're sending to you, and that is beyond your control. Email providers still don't necessarily check it either on incoming mail.

If people are serious then they are using spf dkim & dmarc. I am happy to only do email with serious people.

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Plus, email is by design insecure etc

With maximum respect, that's not especially relevant in this context. Email does what email does. There are also lots of great solutions where documents, for example legal documents, need encrypytion.

Abolishing the old fashioned letter service would be about making the sending of paper documents an exception. In most cases it already is. And yet Britain still runs (at a loss) a national mail service. For fewer and fewer people. And on the IOM it now delivers spam.

Phasing out the letter service would not stop people from being able to send important paper documents - in the few cases where that is really necessary. But they would be sent as special packages. And charged at cost instead of being part of a service which effectively runs at a loss. Very important documents should be priced at a premium - and according to how far they have to travel.

Edited by genericUserName

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

If people are serious then they are using spf dkim & dmarc. I am happy to only do email with serious people.

With maximum respect, that's not especially relevant in this context. Email does what email does. There are also lots of great solutions where documents, for example legal documents, need encrypytion.

Abolishing the old fashioned letter service would be about making the sending of paper documents an exception. In most cases it already is. And yet Britain still runs (at a loss) a national mail service. For fewer and fewer people. And on the IOM it now delivers spam.

Phasing out the letter service would not stop people from being able to send important paper documents - in the few cases where that is really necessary. But they would be sent as special packages. And charged at cost instead of being part of a service which effectively runs at a loss. Very important documents should be priced at a premium - and accordingh to how far they have to travel.

You a postman? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just wondering why you hate letters so much. 

The old-fashioned letter service is a waste of money and resources. It is still set up for the era when letters were the main way of communicating and a vital part of the national infrastructure. And it now seems to be the #1 vector for spam.

Contrary to what many people wrongly believe, the letter service does not ride on top of the profitable parcel service. It stands in the way of modernisation and is wrapped up in all sorts of ancient working practices.

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The old-fashioned letter service is a waste of money and resources. It is still set up for the era when letters were the main way of communicating and a vital part of the national infrastructure. And it now seems to be the #1 vector for spam.

Contrary to what many people wrongly believe, the letter service does not ride on top of the profitable parcel service. It stands in the way of modernisation and is wrapped up in all sorts of ancient working practices.

Ah, not a postman, but a post office manager! You are displaying your ignorance.

On 1/10/2023 at 8:03 AM, genericUserName said:

We should be able to opt out of receiving unsolicited junk mail and leaflets from IOM Post Office.

Think you can. Or probably better speak to your postie and tell him her not to drop leaflets. 

15 hours ago, Antoine said:

The letter was posted by Dr Graham McAll - lives in Kirk Patrick.

According to Manx Radio, he was a GP and general surgeon in Sheffield. He is now retired. 

He is well known as an anti-abortion campaigner. 

He came out of retirement during Covid-19 to help with 111 on the IOM. 

Religion is a big part of his life. He is part of the Church of England. https://www.sodorandman.im/reader_ministry/

These are the only facts I know about him. I do not know him personally. I am sure there is more information online if you want to do further research.

I don't give a shit about stuff coming through my letterbox but when it's so clearly one sided and the people are hiding behind a fake organisation name that hasn't been registered anywhere, and the domain's WHOis hidden, and no website - it pisses me off. 

he can fuck off

• Like 6