Innocent until proven guilty??

Passing Time

Taken almost exactly three years to go from the first charge to being dismissed without evidence.

There was a case earlier this month where:

[...] prosecutor James Robinson said police had charged the 23-year-old without taking advice from the Attorney General’s Chambers.

Telling the court there was ‘never sufficient evidence’ to prosecute he offered no evidence and asked for the charge to be formally dismissed.

But that case had also appeared in Court in December when:

Defence advocate Stephen Wood said that he was surprised that his client had been charged with the offence and asked the prosecution to look at the evidence.

But you'd hope the prosecution would have looked at the evidence before they even went to Court the first time.  That's their job after all.  Particularly if the circumstances were unusual.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Taken almost exactly three years to go from the first charge to being dismissed without evidence.

There was a case earlier this month where:

[...] prosecutor James Robinson said police had charged the 23-year-old without taking advice from the Attorney General’s Chambers.

Telling the court there was ‘never sufficient evidence’ to prosecute he offered no evidence and asked for the charge to be formally dismissed.

But that case had also appeared in Court in December when:

Defence advocate Stephen Wood said that he was surprised that his client had been charged with the offence and asked the prosecution to look at the evidence.

But you'd hope the prosecution would have looked at the evidence before they even went to Court the first time.  That's their job after all.  Particularly if the circumstances were unusual.

It doesn’t bode well for the new PIMLIT Unit, run by a retired police officer. I really hope that if anyone charged with financial crimes, with evidence gathered from PIMLIT, and the AGs office prosecution, I really hope that all the paperwork is in order, otherwise a decent barrister or KC will make mincemeat of the prosecution. 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

He was obviously outside that Manx protective cloak of legal anonymity for certain individuals and institutions.

Similar case a few years ago when a guy at the Manx Museum had his good name and character smeared in public over a false allegation. 

that particular incident was pure spite on the woman's part. Did she get punished?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2bees said:

How harrowing for the poor man. I hope he can move on and put this behind him. 

I think the chances of that will be very difficult after he has lived with this for four years. 

As someone mentioned they must have had the evidence to charge him surely. Did they lose a computer somewhere? Its unbelievable.

When this happens does compensation come into it. I hope it does in a case like this.

• Like 1