Innocent until proven guilty??

Passing Time

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Why would Westminster withhold consent?

Our law about identifying victims and defendants has been at odds with that of England over identifying victims and alleged perpetrators of sexual assaults several times over the last 30 years.

Much of the EU limit identifying and reporting.

Its an excuse, he thought would work, total bullshitter.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry Stu

I am normally one of your supporters. But you can’t just shrug your shoulders and say “ well I can’t achieve anything major so I will just stick to the low level stuff”

If not you who would get laws changed? You don’t have to be omnipotent just try and convince your fellow MHKs of the worthiness of your cause.

OK if they don’t get it and don’t support it fair enough,  but at least you have tried not just said “ it’s not going to happen so I won’t bother”

And the electorate would know more what you stood for, rather than thinking you of you as a defeatist. Might help you next election time should you stand again.

You had the balls to stand  as an MHK. Don’t lose them now you got in.

You’re a reasonable person so I’ll reply. Trying things you know are likely to fail isn’t to my mind a quality, it’s a weakness. It was what got millions slaughtered in the trenches. There are major issues I can and do champion or influence as part of my work in the DoI, CLAJ Committee, IOMPO or OFT, but like I said earlier I choose my battles rather than flail around making a lot of populist noise. There are probably better MHKs than me and there are probably worse, but I’m giving it my best shot.

My critics are welcome to do things their way if they can get elected, but I suspect they would soon reach a similar conclusion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Police Powers & Procedures.

Tynwald was to rush through updates to the codes. They were defective. The Law Society was aware and did nothing, so i e-mailed all Tynwald members seeking that they adjourn.

I was approached by AG, Minister of Home Affairs, and others, and persuaded to withdraw my objections against an undertaking to bring forward amendments to cover the objections I had raised, within 3 months. Still waiting.

Standard procedure. Eventually you'll lose interest or die.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Trying things you know are likely to fail isn’t to my mind a quality, it’s a weakness

Setting yourself up for failure is certainly not an obvious way to present yourself to the public in your situation, however, you have to be seen to actually do 'something and that is where you are probably failing to satisfy your electorate??

You mention several Depts where you think you have influence but  you do not indicate that your intervention has been in the interests of the electorate  in general or your electorate in Middle ???

It's too easy to point to your influence when you are not indicating that your influence has been positive or negative for your electorate!!!!

53 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He's good enough to give an explanation

He is good at making up excuses not an explanation, a career bullshitter.

He should just crack on and choose that hill to die on, perhaps we could roll him down Snaefell as a test dummy for his gravity centre. 

That gives me an idea, wo could kill two oldies with one stone,  call it Indignatas and roll them down in barrels, ending with  them careering sideways and sliding into an open grave / mine shaft shouting 'what a ride!'. 

35 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

He is good at making up excuses not an explanation, a career bullshitter.

He should just crack on and choose that hill to die on, perhaps we could roll him down Snaefell as a test dummy for his gravity centre. 

That gives me an idea, wo could kill two oldies with one stone,  call it Indignatas and roll them down in barrels, ending with  them careering sideways and sliding into an open grave / mine shaft shouting 'what a ride!'. 

You are beyond the pail. 

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You’re a reasonable person so I’ll reply. Trying things you know are likely to fail isn’t to my mind a quality, it’s a weakness. It was what got millions slaughtered in the trenches. There are major issues I can and do champion or influence as part of my work in the DoI, CLAJ Committee, IOMPO or OFT, but like I said earlier I choose my battles rather than flail around making a lot of populist noise. There are probably better MHKs than me and there are probably worse, but I’m giving it my best shot.

My critics are welcome to do things their way if they can get elected, but I suspect they would soon reach a similar conclusion.

I've been a critic of yours in the past Stu. 

Recently I've seen that I don't think I'd ever wish your role, along with many others in the world. There are loads out there who think they can do it better. From football managers, politicians and anyone else in the public eye.

That said, whilst I understand that you're picking your battles, I would be nailing my colours to the mast on my strong beliefs, regardless of the support I thought I'd garner. 

I know you have your constituents interest to look after too, first and foremost. 

However, taken from your comments prior to being elected "He also added holding the government machine to account, uniting our nation behind the Manx flag and promoting transparency, decency, honour and free speech"

Couple of questions if I may.

1. In what way are you doing this?

2. Why did you take on any additional duties?

2. Don't you feel any additional duties taken on by you conflict the above?

@Stu Peters

it was you that expressed support for defendant anonymity. You then said it was for others, of which you are one.

you said  you were only one of 33 and it had no chance. Even when reminded you could get it through the keys with just 12 more  you said there’d be no support, Royal Assent would be withheld.

So, my point, have you actually canvassed your fellow legislators, have they said they wouldn’t support, have you asked the AG’s or Clerk of Tynwald about likelihood of Royal Assent being granted or withheld?

It’s you that’s grandstanding and playing to the gallery. The electorate in 2026. You’ve got cold feet?

Why not frame a declaratory resolution:

Tynwald/The Keys notes the serious adverse consequences of the media reporting cases where the defendant is subsequently acquitted.

Tynwald/The Keys is of the opinion that defendants in criminal trials should be afforded anonymity prior to conviction, whilst allowing the media published or circulating in the IoM to report criminal proceedings in real time but without identifying the defendant.

Tynwald/The Keys directs Council of Ministers to prepare a draft bill to be introduced to the HoK at its first sitting  after the summer recess in 2023.

You would find out if there would be support.

• Like 10