Innocent until proven guilty??

Passing Time

8 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Paradoxically in this case it may be for the best.  Otherwise you get into a situation where you can find references on the internet to him being charged or committed for the offence, but nothing to say that he was acquitted.  This happens all the time, google a name and you will find articles about them being accused of something, but nothing to say if they were found guilty or innocent or the charges were dropped.

Incidentally the comments on that Facebook post seem to suggest that this actually happened in early December and is only being reported now.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we have a lazy AGs Department who are often caught sleeping on the job. Their advice to government departments is sketchy a lot of the time too. It's a home for incompetents who couldn't make it in private practice, like many government departments. Obviously there are HR failings too, they are well know incompetents!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Paradoxically in this case it may be for the best.  Otherwise you get into a situation where you can find references on the internet to him being charged or committed for the offence, but nothing to say that he was acquitted...

You are right.  If I were him I'd also want a public statement from the AG's office apologising for allowing this to progress so far, and over such an inordinate period of time.  Pity the court didn't comment on this debacle.

Several years ago in the UK two former NHS colleagues of mine were charged with committing fraud against the NHS.  The investigation took three years to complete and it was four years before it got to court.  The wife of one of the defendants continued to work at my trust and was a nervous wreck.

It was quite a big case locally (a lot of money involved) and when it got to trial the prosecution case was based on nothing of any subsatance and the court accepted the defendants' motion of no case to answer after the prosecution had presented their case.  The judge was extremely scathing of the prosecution and of the length of time it had taken to get to court, and made a point of telling the defendants that the case should never have got to trial and that they left the court with no blemish on their characters whatsoever.  It was widely reported locally and no-one was in any doubt as to their innocence.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, code99 said:

If what is reported is actually what occurred, then for all intents and purposes the lying accuser should be prosecuted and the acquitted defendant should be awarded a substantial (seven figure) compensation sum for their personal trauma and reputational damage.

...and both the apology and the compensation details made public.

• Like 1

In cases such as this, are there ever any legal consequences for the police or prosecutors? Allowing someone to have this hanging over them for 4 years, and then turn up in court to say “sorry, we have nothing, he just looked like a wrong ‘un” is surely criminal? Obviously we don’t know the full story, but come on!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

In cases such as this, are there ever any legal consequences for the police or prosecutors? Allowing someone to have this hanging over them for 4 years, and then turn up in court to say “sorry, we have nothing, he just looked like a wrong ‘un” is surely criminal? Obviously we don’t know the full story, but come on!

Yeah bit more to it 

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yeah bit more to it 

Always is Thommo, and no one's telling. The real story is played out behind closed doors and the media won't chase it. The right people get their wedge and everyone involved is happy. Reputations and careers intact. Just a pity about the poor sap who has to pay for the whole charade with his good name and character.

'Lessons will be learned...'  

• Like 2

I worked alongside this man for 20 years. A more decent and good natured person you couldn't hope to meet. How he coped with the dignity and stoicism he did throughout this is beyond me. Despite the inevitable`& understandable seed of doubt that something of this nature throws up, he was still respected & supported by his colleagues & employer.

I doubt anyone truly gets over such an awful experience. It is my sincerest hope he can try to put this behind him and pick up the pieces.

• Like 9