The Peggy

hissingsid

44 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Stick it in Jurby transport museum. Simples, job done.

The building is air conditioned - although you might argue that the whole of Jurby has air conditioning.

https://manxnationalheritage.im/whats-on/detail/behind-the-scenes-at-the-peggy/

Edited to add the bleedin' obvious. The Peggy is on display already. Clearly, the object (The Peggy) is not the most important thing. The most important thing is the grandiose building in which to display the object.

Edited by Two-lane

And the cost of staffing and maintaining the building ongoing.  I heard the lady who is President of MNH on MR today regarding funding, apparently they are doing very well with the fund raising, no figure mentioned of money actually raised, and just want a mere three million from the Government to complete.    My message would be ..if you are doing well just crack on and when you raise enough dosh build your enclosure to house the boat, take a leaf out of the book of the volunteers who are restoring Ramsey Pier or the volunteers who made the Peel entertainment hall viable. We have no money for things we want we have little money for things we need.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The building is air conditioned - although you might argue that the whole of Jurby has air conditioning.

https://manxnationalheritage.im/whats-on/detail/behind-the-scenes-at-the-peggy/

Edited to add the bleedin' obvious. The Peggy is on display already. Clearly, the object (The Peggy) is not the most important thing. The most important thing is the grandiose building in which to display the object.

Isn’t the whole Peggy project being pushed at every opportunity by Jason Moorehouse MHK? Like Castle Rushen High School, which I fully sympathise with, isn’t going to happen for a long while. We have to get used to long and sustained cuts in the budget. I’m quite prepared to pay more tax, but I’m not prepared to pay extra tax for it to be squandered on grandiose, pie in the sky and money pit capital projects. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ADELE said:

And the cost of staffing and maintaining the building ongoing.  I heard the lady who is President of MNH on MR today regarding funding, apparently they are doing very well with the fund raising, no figure mentioned of money actually raised, and just want a mere three million from the Government to complete.    My message would be ..if you are doing well just crack on and when you raise enough dosh build your enclosure to house the boat, take a leaf out of the book of the volunteers who are restoring Ramsey Pier or the volunteers who made the Peel entertainment hall viable. We have no money for things we want we have little money for things we need.

Maybe MNH could pass the begging bowl around its supporters, its corporate supporters and sponsors. Perhaps it could seek a corporate sponsor for the building? Perhaps one of the big shipping companies, may care to have the naming rights? 

I would say that in these financially challenging times, health, education, the welfare of the islands poorest in society should be what our politicos should focus on. Other capital projects have sucked the lifeblood and resources, and have allowed the reputation of the island to sink, have been allowed to fester. Liverpool needs finishing and then it has to earn its keep. MNH needs to be told where to go in no certain terms, and if they don’t like it, cut them adrift. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Maybe MNH could pass the begging bowl around its supporters, its corporate supporters and sponsors. Perhaps it could seek a corporate sponsor for the building? Perhaps one of the big shipping companies, may care to have the naming rights? 

I would say that in these financially challenging times, health, education, the welfare of the islands poorest in society should be what our politicos should focus on. Other capital projects have sucked the lifeblood and resources, and have allowed the reputation of the island to sink, have been allowed to fester. Liverpool needs finishing and then it has to earn its keep. MNH needs to be told where to go in no certain terms, and if they don’t like it, cut them adrift. 

Totally agree, they got £2/3m towards laxey wheel which at least was a worthwhile investment. Meanwhile planning are blocking redevelopment of Douglas quay by listing an old warehouse which has no architectural features 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quilp said:

According to Connie it'll aid government's plan for the pie-in-the-sky half a million visitors by 2032. 

What's not to like..? 

If IOMG won’t back the plans due to financial constraints, and she doesn’t like it, she could always find another museum job. I can understand her enthusiasm and willingness to swallow the bullshit trotted out by her political master. 

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If IOMG won’t back the plans due to financial constraints, and she doesn’t like it, she could always find another museum job. I can understand her enthusiasm and willingness to swallow the bullshit trotted out by her political master. 

Exactly... http://peggy-of-castletown.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-sister-for-peggy.html?m=1

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

...for £500k we could 'ship' her off to a better home with far more visitors..on a permanent loan...on condition they advertise trips to the island.

Bit of a long way that in the Peggy. Think people would rather fly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hyahhh, Aunty Connie have Uncle Alf by the balls, she know that MHaighchKs will vote for her, she have bigger Tits than Nigella, fuyoho, they give her what she wants, what she wants!!!

MHaitchKs line up to raise their masts to Auntie Connie, Fuyioh!!!

Sorry children!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

...for £500k we could 'ship' her off to a better home with far more visitors..on a permanent loan...on condition they advertise trips to the island.

That’s not good enough sadly. It’s Castletowns politicos who are obsessed with this, and other schemes (some justified), but now isn’t the time, and based upon previous IOMG capital projects, the development is doomed to running overtime and over budget, and that’s even with a new CPU and nodding dogs or great and good sitting on the unit. This scheme is a nice to have, luxury scheme. Maybe the MHKs and Commissioners could try and raise donations and public subscription, to build like their Victorian Forefathers, without taxpayers contributing? 

• Like 1