The Peggy

hissingsid

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yes, well, that was rather my point.

As you should WELL know! 😂

I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Laxeyites know about the actual song, it's pretty niche. 

Some years ago at a wedding of a fellow villager, there were many of us drunken on a coach, loudly singing the song, which was pretty cool from a nostalgia point of view.  The non villagers were very confused! 

Edited by The Phantom

25 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Laxeyites know about the actual song, it's pretty niche. 

Some years ago at a wedding of a fellow villager, there were many of us drunken on a coach, loudly singing the song, which was pretty cool from a nostalgia point of view.  The non villagers were very confused! 

Come on now. It's not an old song, it's from the late 50s and loads of Aran-jumpered folkies covered it (usually with one little finger in an ear) in the 70s/80s. Used to be a staple of the Houghton Weavers and it was on their TV show, so it was fairly widely known. 

Edited by The Bastard
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Come on now. It's not an old song, it's from the late 50s and loads of Aran-jumpered folkies covered it (usually with one little finger in an ear) in the 70s/80s. Used to be a staple of the Houghton Weavers and it was on their TV show, so it was fairly widely known. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is still pretty niche! 

When I first read your comment, I thought it said Aryan jumpers.  For a second I thought that Nazi Paratroopers were into it! 

• Like 1

So a mere three grand here, more or less, probably more for this little venture than nearly four grand for Jessop’ s folly adding up nicely .    Judging by Social Media the MGP are not happy especially as there is no money for a new residential home in Ramsey to replace Cummal Moar.    I cannot remember a time when the Government were so oblivious to the feeling of the people.    Reading the room is an unknown concept to them.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, ADELE said:

And the cost of staffing and maintaining the building ongoing.  I heard the lady who is President of MNH on MR today regarding funding, apparently they are doing very well with the fund raising, no figure mentioned of money actually raised, and just want a mere three million from the Government to complete.    My message would be ..if you are doing well just crack on and when you raise enough dosh build your enclosure to house the boat, take a leaf out of the book of the volunteers who are restoring Ramsey Pier or the volunteers who made the Peel entertainment hall viable. We have no money for things we want we have little money for things we need.

Corporate partnership with Swan Vestas?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

A Viking burial would be a great attraction

For a brief moment there, scanning the Recent Activity list, I thought this was on the "What do we need to attract more tourists?" thread.

ETA: It's a USP that Dignitas have so far failed to exploit! 😀

Edited by Sheldon