The Peggy

hissingsid

The Peggy is already in a building with a controlled environment, and is possibly in a building in which the masts can be erected (if that is essential).

"https://manxnationalheritage.im/whats-on/detail/behind-the-scenes-at-the-peggy/"

I would guess that the £5 million plus does not take into account the money spent on that building, nor on the preservation work (which does not mean that I am against the preservation, just that one should look at the total cost of this project).

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The Peggy is already in a building with a controlled environment, and is possibly in a building in which the masts can be erected (if that is essential).

"https://manxnationalheritage.im/whats-on/detail/behind-the-scenes-at-the-peggy/"

I would guess that the £5 million plus does not take into account the money spent on that building, nor on the preservation work (which does not mean that I am against the preservation, just that one should look at the total cost of this project).

Unless it's going to sail anywhere then the masts aren't essential. 

Easily looking at £10m being spunked away on this.

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Unless it's going to sail anywhere then the masts aren't essential. 

It depends how you define the word "essential". From another thread:

Re: Peggy - Two years ago Manx National Heritage Chairman Jonathan Hall said the costs would be "north of 5 million". Add inflation to that.

He also said "the advice from the experts is that you must show her fully rigged". That accounts for the height of the proposed structure. The masts may still be there but the sails are long gone, so they will be modern replicas.

Of course there is the possibility that they could display the boat in the way that it had lain for the last God-knows number of years.

And who is going to clean the windows of this structure? I suppose they plan to use self-cleaning glass, but I wonder if Pilkington has done tests with Manx seagulls around.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It depends how you define the word "essential". From another thread:

Re: Peggy - Two years ago Manx National Heritage Chairman Jonathan Hall said the costs would be "north of 5 million". Add inflation to that.

He also said "the advice from the experts is that you must show her fully rigged". That accounts for the height of the proposed structure. The masts may still be there but the sails are long gone, so they will be modern replicas.

Of course there is the possibility that they could display the boat in the way that it had lain for the last God-knows number of years.

And who is going to clean the windows of this structure? I suppose they plan to use self-cleaning glass, but I wonder if Pilkington has done tests with Manx seagulls around.

Essentials - Health, Education, Infrastructure, Security 

Nice to Haves - anything MNH related.

There's nothing at all in their entire inventory that is essential. Even if Peel Castle were to be washed away in a storm, it still wouldn't be 'essential'. 

The money is running out and we all need to wise up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ever thought about why you never see what visitors make of all this junk we're trying to showcase?

The Quango's of the most out of touch sloths on the Island are wasting our cash.

The drearfest Peggy will slot in nicely with the visit to the knackered House of Manannan and inaccessible/dull Laxey Wheel.

Speaking of wheels - check out the accessibility for those who have mobility problems.

WTF are they doing?

A simple survey of what visitors want will reveal decent hotels, cheap ale, nice bars and eateries and exciting attractions.  

• Like 3

Aiming for 2 years time ………….. will be much longer if history of Manx Capital Projects. Will be be kept to budget? Will there be enough workers to complete the project. This island can’t look after is own residents needs, it can’t afford swimming pools, so perhaps Southern Swimming Pool would be the natural home of the PEGGY? Maybe it will save the taxpayers a few quid? When the island is really struggling financially and tough choices are meted to the public, people will rise up against Moorehouse. 

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Aiming for 2 years time ………….. will be much longer if history of Manx Capital Projects. Will be be kept to budget? Will there be enough workers to complete the project. This island can’t look after is own residents needs, it can’t afford swimming pools, so perhaps Southern Swimming Pool would be the natural home of the PEGGY? Maybe it will save the taxpayers a few quid? When the island is really struggling financially and tough choices are meted to the public, people will rise up against Moorehouse. 

Imagine an angry mob of the GMP dragging the Peggy into Castletown Square and burning it on a big bonfire in protest!

• Like 2

If the people of Castletown are so desperate to have Peggy back, maybe they should pay for it in their rates.

MNH haven’t got the money and as far as I’m aware they have no concrete plans as to where they’re going to get it. I doubt the government will cough up the whole £5mill or even a decent proportion of it. 

Edited by Itsmeee