The Peggy

hissingsid

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Are they even in the room? 

No, they're in the penthouse looking down at the unwashed, confused about what all the fuss is about. After all, life is cushy in the penthouse and with all the work they're putting in, it must be the same on the lower floors and basement, surely?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Although the Govt do give money to MNH,  they MNH, also seek outside subsidy for some of their projects.

If as a proud independent Nation, at least for us Manxies, we wish to highlight those differences then some govt input is required? No matter that it is some hundreds of years since we were truly independent . we are now in a position to try to preserve that stance and it is not beyond the whit to expect some Govt money for this???

Now, whether Peggy deserves some of this money is debatable, personally, I'd say let it rot away, it's only an old boat, though it may play a part in our 'smuggling' heritage there is more to spend our money on, Laxey Wheel???? Manx language???

So, should we rely on a quango to decide where the money goes or 24 opinions for their own constituency???

You sound like a modern day Manx nationalist. By chance today I was reading about the life of John Quine, a notable Manxman who lived a century ago. By the looks of his life, he admired the kind of Manx history that I like.

There just seems to be a vacuum  in Tynwald  nothing notable has been achieved since the last election of note, nothing to improve the lives of the people.   All the government have done is increased prices on all their services road tax, licences for taxis etc and the councils and commissioners have hiked rates up neither have offered improved services.   They are hitting the public from all directions which in turn is affecting spending power that is hitting the hospitality industry, shops, hairdressers etc.   Cannot they see the downward spiral is being caused by their actions or in some cases their inaction.   This is without a doubt the worst government ever rudderless and floundering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ADELE said:

There just seems to be a vacuum  in Tynwald  nothing notable has been achieved since the last election of note, nothing to improve the lives of the people.   All the government have done is increased prices on all their services road tax, licences for taxis etc and the councils and commissioners have hiked rates up neither have offered improved services.   They are hitting the public from all directions which in turn is affecting spending power that is hitting the hospitality industry, shops, hairdressers etc.   Cannot they see the downward spiral is being caused by their actions or in some cases their inaction.   This is without a doubt the worst government ever rudderless and floundering.

I tried to press this point on Chris Thomas as couple of years ago but he was having none of it!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, finlo said:

I tried to press this point on Chris Thomas as couple of years ago but he was having none of it!

The greatest disappointment in an MHK I think I've ever seen. Chris is an intelligent guy, and has the grey matter to, I thought, make a difference. However he has been absorbed into the 'Borg' and is now another bullshit spouting tool !

There appears to be no end to the list of talentless, anonymous, grey people we elect, whose sole ambition is to grab the cash, cover up and obfuscate. The future looks a bit bleak TBH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

The greatest disappointment in an MHK I think I've ever seen. Chris is an intelligent guy, and has the grey matter to, I thought, make a difference. However he has been absorbed into the 'Borg' and is now another bullshit spouting tool !

There appears to be no end to the list of talentless, anonymous, grey people we elect, whose sole ambition is to grab the cash, cover up and obfuscate. The future looks a bit bleak TBH.

Not so much the elected individuals but testimony to the power of the assimilators. This is what the Island is up against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ADELE said:

How much ?    That to me is the question not just the initial cost but the cost of running it.   We are skint  the population are in the main struggling and this spending on non essential projects ,desirable as they may be ,do not go down well with the public .     The Government are not reading the room.

I would like to see the Peggy because I'm interested in how they constructed their stuff back then.

Which means, of course, that an exact copy needing much less maintenance would do just as well.

However the argument that when you lose your heritage it's never coming back is also true. But it's impossibly difficult to put a price on it and there's the rub...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I would like to see the Peggy because I'm interested in how they constructed their stuff back then.

Which means, of course, that an exact copy needing much less maintenance would do just as well.

However the argument that when you lose your heritage it's never coming back is also true. But it's impossibly difficult to put a price on it and there's the rub...

Or just go to Windermere to see its' sister ship - where the Peggy should also go IMO.

http://peggy-of-castletown.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-sister-for-peggy.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Or just go to Windermere to see its' sister ship - where the Peggy should also go IMO.

http://peggy-of-castletown.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-sister-for-peggy.html?m=1

Or look at a diagram online. 

It’s a weird one. I think it all a total waste of precious resources, while at the same time, I curse our ancestors and can’t believe that they destroyed so much of our beautiful heritage.

Its a dilemma. 

On 7/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, Roxanne said:

I curse our ancestors and can’t believe that they destroyed so much of our beautiful heritage.

Yes. Those wild forests which once covered the now bleak and desolate hillsides. It would be fantastic to see it all rewilded.

The bronze age should be held to account.