The Peggy

hissingsid

On 7/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, P.K. said:

I would like to see the Peggy because I'm interested in how they constructed their stuff back then.

Which means, of course, that an exact copy needing much less maintenance would do just as well.

However the argument that when you lose your heritage it's never coming back is also true. But it's impossibly difficult to put a price on it and there's the rub...

Perhaps those that are interested in such things should club together and form a group. Raise money. Pay for this kind of thing and not take it from the tax payer. We need all the money we can get to pay for all the projects that go badly.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Perhaps those that are interested in such things should club together and form a group. Raise money. Pay for this kind of thing and not take it from the tax payer

Ditto so many other things which only some people use or are interested in.

eg schools, libraries, roads, hospitals, cemeteries, the TT, ferry companies. Etc

Wait .... 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Ditto so many other things which only some people use or are interested in.

eg schools, libraries, roads, hospitals, cemeteries, the TT, ferry companies. Etc

Wait .... 

That's the worst analogy I have ever heard in my time on here. Jesus!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The point is that we can all argue against aspects of govt spending which relate to things we do not agree with.

It is not an analogy. Vote the government out if you don't agree with it.

Schools are not optional, hospitals are not optional. Cemeteries and paid for my the user, roads are essential.

Libraries, yes optional. TT I thought was self financing. Ferry's you have to pay for.

Old boats with a niche following of a handful of anoraks? Not so sure. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Schools are not optional, hospitals are not optional. Cemeteries and paid for my the user, roads are essential.

Libraries, yes optional. TT I thought was self financing. Ferry's you have to pay for.

Old boats with a niche following of a handful of anoraks? Not so sure. 

@Happier diner

So how much do you think should be spent on preserving the island's seafaring heritage like the Peggy?

Show ALL working!

Edited by P.K.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier about the proposals for the current Nautical Museum site being exhibited in Castletown for people to have a look at and commented on.  The second day of this was cancelled following the Southern 100 crash, so they are putting the show back on the road again according to Gef:

The open days will be held at the House of Manannan in Peel, Monday, July 31 at 10am to 4.30pm and in Castletown Civic Centre on August 3 (10am to 7pm) and August 4 (9am to 5pm). 

So all you out West can pop along today. 

Last time there were complaints that there while there was a lot in the way of pretty pictures, there wasn't much in the way of actual plans, whether that will have improved I don't know.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Last time there were complaints that there while there was a lot in the way of pretty pictures, there wasn't much in the way of actual plans, whether that will have improved I don't know.

Yeah, that was my view. But the people who were there were very happy to talk, so it was worth going along. Anyone who does, please ask about large glass and steel structures in limestone conservation zones and hypocrisy thanks.

Edited by TheTeapot

Lots of folks have issues around the preservation of heritage on the island and what it costs. 

Fair enough because so do I. The trams and railway, the Peggy, the Cosy Nook and so forth.

My concern is that such heritage as there is only has real meaning for less than half of the population.

Tricky one...

I wonder how much this gloried greenhouse will cost the taxpayers? Will the costs be kept under control by the great and the good of the Capital Projects Unit, or will be another request for funding from MNH, with an assortment of excuses? This project is a nice to have but not essential. If the island recovers and builds up its finances then the project could go ahead - who knows the costs may have reduced?

On 7/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, P.K. said:

@Happier diner

So how much do you think should be spent on preserving the island's seafaring heritage like the Peggy?

Show ALL working!

It's not about how much should be spent. It's about the source of the money for the spend. It should be a charity. An optional contribution. Not from the public purse. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Instead of spending £m on this they should be building a homeless shelter or more temporary key workers housing. IOMG own QB & bowling green pubs, surely one of these could be used 

You are right but I’m sure the top civil servants won’t see it like that. Sadly these sites will sit there, decaying or bring the cause of anti social behaviour. The QB I thought was a ‘strategic’ site (IOMG gobbledegook bollocks speak), which is a reason it’s lain empty and will continue to do so. Sadly I doubt it’s suitable for housing due to its position. The Bowling Green pub site and car park along with the old Park Road School should have been redeveloped years ago, when times were good, money plentiful and cheap. Due to our inefficient government this site will lay barren for another 10 years plus, as IOMG won’t have the money to redevelop ………… unless it’s handed over to a developer ………. who will want it cheap.