The Peggy

hissingsid

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You are right but I’m sure the top civil servants won’t see it like that. Sadly these sites will sit there, decaying or bring the cause of anti social behaviour. The QB I thought was a ‘strategic’ site (IOMG gobbledegook bollocks speak), which is a reason it’s lain empty and will continue to do so. Sadly I doubt it’s suitable for housing due to its position. The Bowling Green pub site and car park along with the old Park Road School should have been redeveloped years ago, when times were good, money plentiful and cheap. Due to our inefficient government this site will lay barren for another 10 years plus, as IOMG won’t have the money to redevelop ………… unless it’s handed over to a developer ………. who will want it cheap. 

Why on earth don't they just sell them. Any sane organisation would do this

IOM where stupidity abounds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Why on earth don't they just sell them. Any sane organisation would do this

IOM where stupidity abounds

You have a point but if they were sold the chances are the land would lay barren for years, unless terms are placed as a condition of sale. Whoever buys would landbank. I also think that the main developers would want the site for a giveaway price so they could maximise profits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

The QB I thought was a ‘strategic’ site (IOMG gobbledegook bollocks speak), which is a reason it’s lain empty and will continue to do so. Sadly I doubt it’s suitable for housing due to its position.

"Strategic" as in waiting for funding to be available for another as yet unrealised (thank feck) DOI wet dream of a huge roundabout system at the QB to equal Spaghetti Junction.

Already proposed but put on the back-burner @ 2008 following the VAT cut, it was going to take 3+ years to construct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

You have a point but if they were sold the chances are the land would lay barren for years, unless terms are placed as a condition of sale. Whoever buys would landbank. I also think that the main developers would want the site for a giveaway price so they could maximise profits.

Can't worse than it is now and also we would have the cash. 

• Like 2

Now that Treasury Minister Allinson has publicly stated that govt services may need to be scaled down to meet budgets, is the same going to apply to mega capital project schemes, pie in the sky schemes and fantasy wishful thinking schemes? The Peggy covers all three and quite frankly the way building costs are going, costs will spiral out of control. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Vanity project totally unacceptable in these straightened times.    There will be staff involved even if like the other heritage sites it will only open when the wind is SW with a good light behind it.    If we have to keep it surely there is a corner in the Museum you could stick it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is there any really good reason to preserve it, other than a great story about it being entombed?  Does it really have a unique historical significance?

From MNH

What is so important about Peggy?

The Peggy is a unique survival of international 18th century maritime history. She is the last intact surviving shallop and the oldest surviving schooner in the world. She is the oldest surviving vessel to have been fitted with sliding keels (dagger boards). Uniquely from this period, she survives nearly complete and unrestored and even more unusually, her masts and spars also survived with the vessel.

Whilst the Isle of Man is not part of the UK the significance of the Peggy is reflected in her extraordinary listing in the National Historic Fleet, a sub-set of the National Register of Historic  Vessels (NRHV) managed by National Historic Ships UK.

29 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

From MNH

What is so important about Peggy?

The Peggy is a unique survival of international 18th century maritime history. She is the last intact surviving shallop and the oldest surviving schooner in the world. She is the oldest surviving vessel to have been fitted with sliding keels (dagger boards). Uniquely from this period, she survives nearly complete and unrestored and even more unusually, her masts and spars also survived with the vessel.

Whilst the Isle of Man is not part of the UK the significance of the Peggy is reflected in her extraordinary listing in the National Historic Fleet, a sub-set of the National Register of Historic  Vessels (NRHV) managed by National Historic Ships UK.

But isn't there another one in the Lake District which preserves that bit of maritime history? 

• Like 1