Westmoreland Village

0bserver

Why more office space when Douglas is saturated with office space? Retail space - a shiny new development for Spar? Housing needed as priority not office space. It’s not governments role or it’s quangos role to provide office space, that’s the private sector entrepreneurs and developers. Are any of these new 133 homes going to be social housing? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I just hope the grand plan meets all the car parking requirements ,  its all right saying everything they want is within walking distance, but people do like getting about , 

on the face of it,   an over intensive use of the site , but I will reserve my judgement until I have had a chance to attend  one of the presentations , 

and while we are  on housing does anyone know what it happening with the Lord St flats , are they coming down are they being refurbished  or have the city fathers gifted them to Dandara ?  gone very quiet down there 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why more office space when Douglas is saturated with office space? Retail space - a shiny new development for Spar? Housing needed as priority not office space. It’s not governments role or it’s quangos role to provide office space, that’s the private sector entrepreneurs and developers. Are any of these new 133 homes going to be social housing? 

Why are you so negative about absolutely everything, this is a great idea to regenerate Douglas & if it includes offices so what!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Why are you so negative about absolutely everything, this is a great idea to regenerate Douglas & if it includes offices so what!!

I'd agree with @2112

Development good.  Housing good.  But Douglas is full of empty offices at the moment and certainly doesn't need any more. 

• Like 3

Presumably part of the office space is going to be filled with DHSC pen pushers as they seem to be talking about developing Crookall House. 

I like the concept of getting the area developed with new modern homes. It's a bonus they're demolishing some Victorian crap in the process too. 

Would be good to see some site plans if they exist just yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd agree with @2112

Development good.  Housing good.  But Douglas is full of empty offices at the moment and certainly doesn't need any more. 

It’s not at all clear, it’s very opaque especially as I think that the ‘office space’ is basically the state jazzing up Crookall House - money no object. This is immoral and repugnant. Ideally Crookall House should be demolished and the land used for social and FTB housing.  Parking is not required and in built car charging points put into properties. We have had climate change rammed down our throats, so IOMG practice what it preaches, scraps parking, improves buses. Also there doesn’t need any retail units. There is an established SPAR. Any new retail will need parking and take away business from existing retail on the Terrace and Bucks Road. It’s a local community so it’s not hard to walk, especially 5 minutes away. 

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

In the grand scheme of things office space really shouldn't be necessary. I can see why it might be attractive as an income generator but only if it's occupied and there's oodles of office space available in Douglas. That space should be turned over to much needed mid-market rental accommodation to relieve the pressure on those who really need to be in social housing.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken 20,000sqf is just under half an acre. There must be the equivalent of hectares of empty office space available right now. 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BillyNoMates said:

first thing i saw on social media about it was someone complaining about the design. manx crabs out in force as usual. so sad. mdc seems like a good thing.

I’m not complaining, I’m only commenting that retail isn’t essential, or needed. There is plenty in the vicinity. Next people will be arguing there’s no coffee shops, or pubs when there are in the vicinity! Why is a state owned but run at ‘arms length’ creating office space? Who for - IOMG? Why not use the Old Nobles Hospital, there must be spare capacity? As much of the land must be used for housing provision, not retail, offices or car parking. Nor should the properties be used to house IOMG new big managers for the DHSC. 

58 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I just hope the grand plan meets all the car parking requirements ,  its all right saying everything they want is within walking distance, but people do like getting about , 

on the face of it,   an over intensive use of the site , but I will reserve my judgement until I have had a chance to attend  one of the presentations , 

and while we are  on housing does anyone know what it happening with the Lord St flats , are they coming down are they being refurbished  or have the city fathers gifted them to Dandara ?  gone very quiet down there 

Dandara built the new apartments on the Quayle’s garage site on Peel Road as a direct swap. Dandara will be developing Lord Street in due course. Think the facade stays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

unregulated private rental designed to go toe to toe with moany private landlords who charge huge rents for crap 

• Like 1