Westmoreland Village

0bserver

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I took this picture coming out of the meeting on Saturday at the bus stop. Here we have an eco village with limited parking that’s going to rely on people walking, cycling and using public transport to get about. Yet currently there’s only 4 buses a day that go past that site even though there’s a school across the road and a load of outpatient medical practices at the old Nobles. 

Are bus routes set in stone permanently ? When they add new estates, bus routes are changed to add capacity. I don't think that will have escaped the project, as it seems a lot of resource is being thrown at it. If the population in the area rises and there's demand, more buses would be reasonable, if that's how the new residents choose to get about.  

there is something of a whiff about this scheme perhaps when the subject matter becomes the issue of a public meeting somewhere we will fully understand Governments involvement  and get to ask the right questions , , and perhaps dispel the   thought that someone on the inside is perhaps looking after  their old mates , we all wish to see green field sites developed  but government came up with a successful formula for lower down Westmoreland road and Tynwald street development a few years  ago       ,  land purchased via a transparent government department   and  planned developed   by government architects in conjunction  with the housing department of Douglas corporation ,  they are there for everyone to see ,and speaking to some of the residents they are delighted with their new homes , and their associated  parking spaces ,

• Like 2

@Omobonoyou are right, but unfortunately that development was done years ago, when things were different, done differently and to some extent, ‘transparent’. Fast forward to 2023, transparency doesn’t exist and Government and Ministers think they know best, and they don’t trust people to make their own decisions. Coupled with the island’s obsession with dick waving, and trying to compete. In this case they have clearly aped Jersey, who have a Jersey Development Corporation, and the IOM copied to become Manx Development Corporation …………… which is supposed to comprise of the Islands best property ‘brains’ and experts. I wish them luck as they are going to need it. I would imagine that financial decisions, building choices will be scrutinised heavily.

It’s interesting to see Douglas Corporation Councillors not exactly overjoyed with the plans and the scheme. Looks like they are being ignored. 

Edited by 2112

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I took this picture coming out of the meeting on Saturday at the bus stop. Here we have an eco village with limited parking that’s going to rely on people walking, cycling and using public transport to get about. Yet currently there’s only 4 buses a day that go past that site even though there’s a school across the road and a load of outpatient medical practices at the old Nobles. 

B7E2071D-5C16-41CE-9BFE-810A89E3FD22.jpeg

They'll just get the 3 to go past it. Job done.

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

A more regular bus service is not a problem the busses that go down Bucks Road can loop around as the used to.

Why would they even need to?

Bucks road is a two minute walk and there must be a bus up and down there every 10 minutes.

Town is a slow ten minute walk away, and prospect terrace five.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

and prospect terrace five.

Make that ten please! My sciatica!

I,m not sure why people are so negative about this? It's more houses which we need, it looks as though it will remain in Govt hands for rent, so one would hope that there will be restrictions giving reasonable rents, MHKs will count the vote value of this, DLas will get some SH relief and everyone lives happily ever after!!!

Edited by Kopek

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Make that ten please! My sciatica!

I,m not sure why people are so negative about this? It's more houses which we need, it looks as though it will remain in Govt hands for rent, so one would hope that there will be restrictions giving reasonable rents, MHKs will count the vote value of this, DLas will get some SH relief and everyone lives happily ever after!!!

It’s Manx crab syndrome demonstrated by people like offshore manx

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2023 at 10:25 PM, Kopek said:

Just like the rest of Douglas?

The @elderly' part will have underground/1st floor parking with two lifts to serve the apartments, whether it's 45 spaces is not stated.

All areas will have visitors so not any different to any area Island wide???

Parking will certainly become a problem, no one will want to pay for 'off street' parking, so there will be a lot of disc time changing for those at home and pain for those who have walked to work. Hillside, Desmaine and Allen sts will be choked!!! This is not any different to the rest of Douglas?  Perhaps the School, Nobles car parks could be available for overnight parking? Off by 8am?

More positivity please.

I'm on the 'pro' side on the whole, but of course there are some reservations.

I know one of the development lot, intelligent and enthusiastic. But I still don't think the '20 minute city' concept works on the island - you might move to Manchester or London to be in Manchester or London, I think, in general, people move to Douglas to live on the island. But, it should give key workers moving over a start, I moved to South Australia and rented accommodation off the SA gov for the first 3 months, cheap and gives you a bit of time. 

However, I did have a car parking space , so we drove around and found a place we wanted to live in.

The idea that it being hard to find somewhere to park is ok because it is in others part of douglas is nonsensical. The idea is to solve problems at the design stage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

It may not be perfect but we need affordable housing for key workers & ASAP so get it built & ignore the whiners.

It's worth getting it right though. But yeah, much needed affordable accommodation in a good area for it.

They pushed on and built the prom without seemingly having considered all the issues.

• Like 1