Westmoreland Village

0bserver

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well it is really, a lot of the buildings are either temporary or quite old. They were at the edge of a Douglas that no longer is what it was. Perhaps the development is intensive, but the remainder of Demesne Road is now intensively occupied and probably in need of a similar development?

Formula Fastfit is a trading business, James Caines is a trading business, the scout hall is an actively used facility. Tracy Bells practice on Westmoreland Road is a trading business. How in any way is that compatible with saying this is a brown field development?

41 minutes ago, BriT said:

The point is this is supposed to be a “brown field” development. You don’t spend long millions buying owners of businesses and houses off “brown field” sites. The MDC is totally operating outside its remit - which is to develop vacant brown field plots around the IOM. You’re right you can’t blame these people for demanding top dollar prices as didn’t ask for this development to go ahead and if the MDC wants to continue with this fantasy then the price is the price. But there are plenty of vacant plots in town where they don’t have to buy people out of. 

I’m not arguing with you, as I totally agree, and have said so in many posts. This MDC was both ex CM Quayles and current CM Cannans baby, they dreamt it up, trying to ape Jersey. There are many sites within Douglas they could be used and are taxpayer owned, such as Park Road/Bowling Green site. A new school idea was rejected, so know perhaps the old idea of mixed use, sheltered, FTB etc can be revisited. At least there were plans drawn up for the area. Fairfield School is empty, and has previously had plenty of money spent on it. Perhaps that could be used for the greater good? 

7 minutes ago, BriT said:

Formula Fastfit is a trading business, James Caines is a trading business, the scout hall is an actively used facility. Tracy Bells practice on Westmoreland Road is a trading business. How in any way is that compatible with saying this is a brown field development?

I’ve heard that over 50 objections have been lodged to the planning application. It’s quite possible that the amount of objections will be a lot more. What I reckon will happen is a public inquiry into the planning application. Overall IOMG hasn’t done a good job of getting its messages across, as it’s riled up the local community. 

Edited by 2112

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’ve heard that over 50 objections have been lodged to the planning application. It’s quite possible that the amount of objections will be a lot more. What I reckon will happen is a public inquiry into the planning application. Overall IOMG hasn’t done a good job of getting its messages across, as it’s riled up the local community. 

Yes I know a few people in the area and the residents seem to be generally angry not at the development per see but just the way in which this and other things seem to be being railroaded through without any form of consultation or input from those who will be affected. The last meeting on this was organized by the residents I think not government or the MDA so the other parties were forced into it. The whole 15 minute village concept is frankly idiotic and has clearly been dreamed up just to get round the obvious problems with parking that exist. The belief that 200 odd people will be regularly cycling to work is frankly preposterous and everyone knows that all that’s going to happen is that the surrounding area is just going to be clogged with cars and parking wars over limited spaces. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I’m not arguing with you, as I totally agree, and have said so in many posts. This MDC was both ex CM Quayles and current CM Cannans baby, they dreamt it up, trying to ape Jersey. There are many sites within Douglas they could be used and are taxpayer owned, such as Park Road/Bowling Green site. A new school idea was rejected, so know perhaps the old idea of mixed use, sheltered, FTB etc can be revisited. At least there were plans drawn up for the area. Fairfield School is empty, and has previously had plenty of money spent on it. Perhaps that could be used for the greater good? 

Isn’t park road/ bowling Green site still being considered for Ballaquayle school & the other linked school at Murray’s road? if that goes ahead then it will free that pr8me site on Thorny road for housing plus the Murray’s road site. Most of objectors are nimbys who don’t want to have anyone pinching their car parking 

2 hours ago, BriT said:

The point is this is supposed to be a “brown field” development. You don’t spend long millions buying owners of businesses and houses off “brown field” sites. The MDC is totally operating outside its remit - which is to develop vacant brown field plots around the IOM. You’re right you can’t blame these people for demanding top dollar prices as didn’t ask for this development to go ahead and if the MDC wants to continue with this fantasy then the price is the price. But there are plenty of vacant plots in town where they don’t have to buy people out of. 

Incredible that it has taken since 2018 to get this far.

https://www.gov.im/media/1378520/uus-douglas-central-update-1-map.pdf

3 hours ago, BriT said:

They have a very loose definition of 'brown-field site'.

https://www.gov.im/media/1370875/uus-report-east-051120-final.pdf

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

Isn’t park road/ bowling Green site still being considered for Ballaquayle school & the other linked school at Murray’s road? if that goes ahead then it will free that pr8me site on Thorny road for housing plus the Murray’s road site. Most of objectors are nimbys who don’t want to have anyone pinching their car parking 

Ruled Out. 

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

December 2022

A spokesman said the DoI was ‘currently considering a number of options for the overall Park Road site in Douglas, and the Bowling Green Hotel’.

4 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

December 2022

A spokesman said the DoI was ‘currently considering a number of options for the overall Park Road site in Douglas, and the Bowling Green Hotel’.

Get some council housing built then!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Get some council housing built then!

There were plans for housing already made for that site. Why does it have to revolve around social housing? There could be FTB housing, Shared Ownership, Shared Equity, Sheltered and Social Housing within a large development. Also the old folks home on Albert Terrace will be empty soon as it’s ‘not fit for purpose’, so perhaps this could be turned into social housing? 

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

The DOI could tell us what the 'options' are. Then perhaps we could help them decide what is needed on that vacant plot in the middle of Douglas.

We will be waiting a long time. Will the Chair of the Housing and Communities Board be announcing for them, or will be acting in his capacity as Minister of the Department of Infrastructure, or will the Manx Development Corporation have their plans for the site? Sadly Chris Thomas MHK Douglas Central, seems to have overlooked his constituents on Demesne Road, as he has too much competing priorities. In general in relation to the Park Road site there too many competing and vested interests instead of what’s best for the site, neighbourhood, Douglas and the Island. 

Edited by 2112