Westmoreland Village

0bserver

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

There are 133 dwellings planned for this site, plus 37 flats in the old nurses home, plus offices in the Crookall building (and office space can have more people per sq. meter than in living accommodation).

The 37 flats in the old nurses home have a total of 4 car park spaces. The houses get one per house.

There looks to be about 30 car park spaces unallocated.

So the all the blocks of flats, plus the office space, plus the employees at the retail places, plus customers for the retail places, plus employees and visitors to the health centre equals - a problem.

I suppose all this has been pointed out before.

There is also an empty site just down the road that would make a great carpark.  Watch this space.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Been empty for longer than I can remember too!

Not sure we are talking about the same on, as the one I believe might become a multistory is currently used for contract parking.

Either way, there are sites very close by that would remove any perceived parking issues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Not sure we are talking about the same on, as the one I believe might become a multistory is currently used for contract parking.

Either way, there are sites very close by that would remove any perceived parking issues.

But the law of the land requires sufficient car parking to be in place before the  said development can go ahead ,and if its to be down the road ,then it must be secured via an agreement with the AG's office , I think it is called a section 13 agreement , 

if this was a private development then this requirement would be strictly enforced  ,something is not ringing true about this development ?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

if this was a private development then this requirement would be strictly enforced

MDC got the old nurses home for free, but they are buying the rest of the surrounding properties.

I wonder why Dandara did not see the possibility of building loads of flats there - they probably have the cash to buy the existing properties.

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

MDC got the old nurses home for free, but they are buying the rest of the surrounding properties.

I wonder why Dandara did not see the possibility of building loads of flats there - they probably have the cash to buy the existing properties.

They are in business to make money not lose it, if there was a viable oportunity to make a profit the buildings would have transformed/converted years ago, I wonder why no company has showed an interest without Government backing. I forsee another Promenade/Liverpool Landing stage blah blah blah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Maybe you could walk into Tynwald and tell all the MHKs and MLCs and Presidents and Speakers and other persons there (must be at least another dozen) that they have to get the bus to work.

Amadeus would probably turn up to record the video. I will hold your jacket.

I wonder how many of the MDC people get the bus (or ride a bicycle in this weather - uphill, into a headwind).

'Uphill into a head wind', lol it's not as hard as you make out, and hills are the fun bit.  The route that was shown was greeba through to the health centre, on a major bus route and pretty sheltered all the way with only a mild incline to get up from Peel Road to Westmoreland Road so a very easy cycle ride.  Of course our MHK's should walk or cycle if  practical, though if you lot insist on voting in fat old tubs of lard you can't expect them to change. 

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

But the law of the land requires sufficient car parking to be in place before the  said development can go ahead ,and if its to be down the road ,then it must be secured via an agreement with the AG's office , I think it is called a section 13 agreement , 

if this was a private development then this requirement would be strictly enforced  ,something is not ringing true about this development ?

Section 13 also states that 25% of dwellings should be 'affordable' but developers get out of that by saying they are posh flats and giving a commutation fee to do something elsewhere.

Former Nurses' Home should have been developed by IOM government to provide accommodation for DHSC staff, especially those coming over to the island from elsewhere, until they can find something suitable in the private sector.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Section 13 also states that 25% of dwellings should be 'affordable' but developers get out of that by saying they are posh flats and giving a commutation fee to do something elsewhere.

Former Nurses' Home should have been developed by IOM government to provide accommodation for DHSC staff, especially those coming over to the island from elsewhere, until they can find something suitable in the private sector.

They are rental flats! Unless, the MDC are going to charge top dollar, then it will take years for the MDC to show a profit (I really hope that Lloyds International are understanding). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They are rental flats!

The only reference I can find to that is a comment by Stu Peters on this forum : "My understanding is that they're not for sale and will be rented out by the MDC. "

Do you have other data?

11 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

They are in business to make money not lose it, if there was a viable oportunity to make a profit the buildings would have transformed/converted years ago, I wonder why no company has showed an interest without Government backing. I forsee another Promenade/Liverpool Landing stage blah blah blah.

I’m sure when it goes uncontrollably over budget and totally tits-up the UK Government will happily step in and use it to process asylum seekers. A move that I am am certain would be greeted with unanimous approval on this forum. 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:42 PM, Amadeus said:

IMG_8954.jpeg

Any update as I’m sure you offered full support as a DBC member to your City constituent in need.

Good on you I’m sure you did the right thing for all involved at their time of housing need.

Anyway I’m going to watch a drone video of a shop closing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Any update as I’m sure you offered full support as a DBC member to your City constituent in need.

Good on you I’m sure you did the right thing for all involved at their time of housing need.

Anyway I’m going to watch a drone video of a shop closing.

Don’t forget to like and subscribe. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Don’t forget to like and subscribe. 

But nobody either likes or subscribes to the shit you post elsewhere. Your own little domain is here keeping 8 people entertained and having your mates banning anything that might be said about you or Douglas Corporation that might affect your silly non-job or your warped perception of yourself.