Westmoreland Village

0bserver

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Yes they borrow the money from the Treasury approved loan provider and pay it back to Treasury (if DO I approve it) at a favourable interest rate over a very long time and in the meantime the property needs reinvestment. Hence the ever increasing deficiency. Neither Treasury, nor DOI will support that. 37 properties into 7-8million does not go.

I believe a lot of people have reservations and don't understand how the MDA is going to turn a profit in the near term.  They must have provided a business case to the bank for the loans - the fact Treasury underwrite them will have helped but there must be some hard numbers.  This arms length approach is fraught with difficulty, effectively giving the small number of BoD from MDC a free hand with the money pot.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Yes they borrow the money from the Treasury approved loan provider and pay it back to Treasury (if DO I approve it) at a favourable interest rate over a very long time and in the meantime the property needs reinvestment. Hence the ever increasing deficiency. Neither Treasury, nor DOI will support that. 37 properties into 7-8million does not go.

Local authorities borrow from HSBC who are current loan providers after treasury approval and pay back direct to HSBC not treasury.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Local authorities borrow from HSBC who are current loan providers after treasury approval and pay back direct to HSBC not treasury.

Not entirely true because of the deficiency arrangements. But yes HSBC provides the loans. 

6 hours ago, english zloty said:

There's a lot more than that in the whole development, it's not worth us speculating as there must be a business case somewhere, I'd like to see it though.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's a lot more than that in the whole development, it's not worth us speculating as there must be a business case somewhere, I'd like to see it though.

ONH is a company in its own right though

7 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

I believe a lot of people have reservations and don't understand how the MDA is going to turn a profit in the near term.  They must have provided a business case to the bank for the loans - the fact Treasury underwrite them will have helped but there must be some hard numbers.  This arms length approach is fraught with difficulty, effectively giving the small number of BoD from MDC a free hand with the money pot.

Not turning a profit from MDA would be quite a spectacular failure 😂

On 1/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, Max Power said:

Not sure we do business cases ! If in fact we do, the Liverpool landing stage should be a cracking read !

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, asitis said:

Not sure we do business cases ! If in fact we do, the Liverpool landing stage should be a cracking read !

There’s always a business case but whether they would stack up in a large private business is another matter.

• 2 months later...

Rejoice, for we are truly saved - 37 apartments due in 'early' 2025. the housing crisis is solved.

But wait, how much is that per apartment ** - and how is it still on time and budget if there was no plan to remove one and a half floors and no expectation to find asbestos? I smell bullshite

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-nurses-home-development-at-pace-and-on-budget/

** rough maths say £220K each, which is more than a 3 bed house costs to build, so that's a bargain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Rejoice, for we are truly saved - 37 apartments due in 'early' 2025. the housing crisis is solved.

But wait, how much is that per apartment ** - and how is it still on time and budget if there was no plan to remove one and a half floors and no expectation to find asbestos? I smell bullshite

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-nurses-home-development-at-pace-and-on-budget/

** rough maths say £220K each, which is more than a 3 bed house costs to build, so that's a bargain 

How have you calculated the cost per apartment and can you tell me where these 3 bedrooms houses for £220k are please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1