Westmoreland Village

0bserver

2 hours ago, Banker said:

How have you calculated the cost per apartment and can you tell me where these 3 bedrooms houses for £220k are please.

a) guess at £9m construction cost (allowing for materials increase and extra work from oringinal butget)deducted cost of cafe space and divided by 37

b) first time buyers scheme - https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/affordable-housing/first-time-home-buyers-assistance/#accordion which are sold off plan at construction cost (-about 1% profit)

36 minutes ago, finlo said:

To build or buy?

they are only tiny (too small to meet minumum space standards i was told, but i would anticipate they would make around £250K-£280K if sold

Edited by english zloty
autocorrect

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I doubt that "complement" is the right word, either. I think "identical" is the word they are looking for.

They certainly won't be identical. Even if the same bricks were still in production (which they won't be) the originals will have decades of weathering.

They'll have chosen new bricks to compliment the old ones, it's the best they can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I doubt that "complement" is the right word, either. I think "identical" is the word they are looking for.

I suppose it is like the estate agents referring to a grass verge as "green belt".

They might have got them as freebies from somewhere if they're complementary...? 🤭 Recycled from a site elsewhere?

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Second hand bricks. That’s what they meant to say. We’ve bought a load of second hand bricks at cost + that might ultimately look close to what the original bricks look like. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:
3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

MDC has constructed the fourth floor using "complimentary bricks".

At that price, politeness is the least you'd expect.

It’s times like these that we need a “Huzzah! Air black with hats!!” emoji…

Edited by Jarndyce
Punctuation
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:49 PM, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-nurses-home-development-at-pace-and-on-budget/

MDC has constructed the fourth floor using "complimentary bricks".

There is something galling about being told a taxpayer funded project, with no publicised budget (that I can see), is 'on budget'.

It's much easier to deliver an 'on budget' project if you can set the budget as you go, as happened with MEA/Profitt saga

• Like 1