Westmoreland Village

0bserver

It looks like an exciting idea. I hope the (presumably affordable) key worker accommodation is open to key workers from here/ already living here as well as those relocating and returning ones they're hoping to attract.

It needs to be acknowledged that local people face the same financial pressures as new comers and that they are already financially discriminated against when it comes to filling key worker positions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Fair points. I hope they just crack on with this and get it built. 

Even if they have to buy out Keith Lord, John Caine and a handful of other property owners out of the land at hugely exaggerated prices to free up land they don’t own? Does Abrahams still own the antique shop too? Not to mention the scout hall and all the garages and lock ups. Millions probably. Doesn’t feel like a good investment just to clear a site. 

19 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

Even if they have to buy out Keith Lord, John Caine and a handful of other property owners out of the land at hugely exaggerated prices to free up land they don’t own? Does Abrahams still own the antique shop too? Not to mention the scout hall and all the garages and lock ups. Millions probably. Doesn’t feel like a good investment just to clear a site. 

Depends on the terms. 

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Depends on the terms. 

To buy the missing parts of the site you’re dealing with Keith Lord and Ian Abraham’s (sure he owns the antique shop and some of the unit’s behind). The terms are going to be bloody expensive to get vacant possession to complete the site. They probably just put the price up by a factor of 10 just by publishing this. 

Edited by C Montgomery Burns

12 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

To buy the missing parts of the site you’re dealing with Keith Lord and Ian Abraham’s (sure he owns the antique shop and some of the unit’s behind). The terms are going to be bloody expensive to get vacant possession to complete the site. They probably just put the price up by a factor of 10 just by publishing this. 

Land swap deal? Would certainly be interesting to know the ins and outs of any deal. 

Is MDC subject to FOI or will they hide behind commerical confidentiality?

30 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

What do you think MDC/IOMG should do? Confiscate the property? Or is your comments based on hatred of individuals? I would imagine that any offer is based upon a valuation from a reputable chartered surveyor. Would anyone want a long drawn out affair of property owners holding out, or ending up at a tribunal for valuation? IOMG likes Tribunals! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

I believe they have reached agreement with all the property owners?

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

What do you think MDC/IOMG should do? Confiscate the property? Or is your comments based on hatred of individuals? 

No hatred of the individuals they’re very savvy property developers who know the strategic value of their sites. I thought the role of the MDC was to develop unused brownfield sites not put itself in a position where it’s going to be leveraged by two of the most astute and wealthy property developer in the IOM just to complete a project. There’s an empty site up at Park Road that isn’t pierced by other freehold interests.

6 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

No hatred of the individuals they’re very savvy property developers who know the strategic value of their sites. I thought the role of the MDC was to develop unused brownfield sites not put itself in a position where it’s going to be leveraged by two of the most astute and wealthy property developer in the IOM just to complete a project. There’s an empty site up at Park Road that isn’t pierced by other freehold interests.

Which I had already commented on in this thread. There were plans in place years ago for the Park Road site, which could have been altered to suit circumstances, and the islands housing needs. Incidentally, I wonder how the homeless unit is coming along? Fairfield School is empty, and would make a stop gap until plans are in place to redevelop. 

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Hardly the centre of Douglas Town. 

Park Road is as much the centre of Douglas as Westmoreland Road is.

I agree, I did point out before that Park Road is near shops, pubs, takeaways, laundromat and restaurants. 

My issue with this development is the refurbishment of Crookall House - specifically for IOMG, with the guise that it’s a historical building of national importance. To me the building would make great additional housing. I don’t believe that retail units are needed. Is this for a Spar, Chemist, Dentists, or Takeaway? I think it’s totally unnecessary for a ‘flash’ glass roof housing a coffee shop for the hipsters in Crookall House and old Nurses Home. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1