Westmoreland Village

0bserver

Just now, 2112 said:

Which I had already commented on in this thread. There were plans in place years ago for the Park Road site, which could have been altered to suit circumstances, and the islands housing needs. Incidentally, I wonder how the homeless unit is coming along? Fairfield School is empty, and would make a stop gap until plans are in place to redevelop. 

As I understand it IOMG has owned the Bowler for years and leased it to H&B. It’s now shut so it’s likely they own that whole plot that can’t be much smaller than this site but which has already been cleared and nobody else’s freehold is messing up possession of the whole site. The MDC looks a bit like a cash cow for the usual suspects now. It’s supposed to be there to develop unused plots not to hand over cash to buy assets at top dollar in order to clear sites before it even starts a project.

It will be known as ‘Westmoreland Village’ with the idea being that residents’ everyday needs can be met locally within a 10-minute journey.

For that to be a realistic and affordable proposition it will need a branch of Tesco. Unless they mean a 10 minute car journey.

A Tesco Express somewhere up there would certainly be a big improvement.

27 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Action is what is needed, so many plans, so little achieved 😪 .

Well Messiah Thomas is going to solve all the islands problems. Perhaps if progress isn’t made, his feet can be held to the fire. It’s up to him really, it’s his constituency, but I doubt he will be re-elected anyway. 

9 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

For that to be a realistic and affordable proposition it will need a branch of Tesco. Unless they mean a 10 minute car journey.

No chance. Shoprite or the Brewery would object. Nice thought though, even a new Coop would be readily welcome but again objection would be swift.

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

No chance. Shoprite or the Brewery would object. Nice thought though, even a new Coop would be readily welcome but again objection would be swift.

It will stand as a test of their claim that:

everyday needs can be met locally within a 10-minute journey

Given that affordability is a factor.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Tesco is an easy 10 minutes walk from there !

• Thanks 2

I think it is a great idea perhaps next tackle the Park Road site with sheltered housing, attractive accommodation could tempt some people to move from houses that would then be available for families.    Or even studio apartments for young singles who are trying to save enough to get on the property ladder.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think it is a great idea perhaps next tackle the Park Road site with sheltered housing, attractive accommodation could tempt some people to move from houses that would then be available for families.    Or even studio apartments for young singles who are trying to save enough to get on the property ladder.

Yes They could have concentrated on sites that are within public ownership.

https://www.gov.im/media/1378529/uus-register-east-update-1.pdf

Edited by Moghrey Mie

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Is something happening at the old DHA/Civil Defence place on Woodbourne Road? 

Raj  was trying to aquire that at one time to compliment his investment at Africa House  the old Baines property next door , but I think someone in government woke up and smelled a long tail ,it would be a huge site and be suitable for apartments  I just hope there is some transparency in all these land purchases on behalf of the taxpayer ,there is a rumour circulating that over £1.6 million has been paid for a property in Demesne road ,  in the good old days these transactions were listed in the local newspaper ,  but confidentiality  has gone mad ! 

• Like 3