Westmoreland Village

0bserver

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Who said anything about using a space twice? I’m sure there’s spaces available for lease if required .

sure there are and anything between £1000 a year and £1500  and If they know people will be scratching for parking space the price will only go one way , better to provide suitable parking on the new development ,and bear the extra cost  it will be value for money in the long term ,  and whats the betting when the survey is being done  prior to approving a mortgage  one of the first questions the bank ask's  has the property got its own parking ! 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

There is another point, when I was young anyone rich enough to buy a car would either have a house with a garage or rent a garage to keep it in after all after a house a car is possibly the next expensive commodity you will buy but now around my neck of the woods no one keeps their cars in their garages they are either on their drives or on the road the reason being the garages are too small with the growing width of cars.

Always good to get a bit of history - but I’m not sure how this point relates to the proposed development…

There will be enough space to hang 200 bicycles, if its good enough for Dukes Street where they changed planning so as to not have to supply underground parking. If the plebs in Government are naive enough to believe everybody will get on a bike they deserve the chaos that would will be forth coming. Just look at DBC management who thought fortnightly collections was a good idea, this would pale into insignificance when you end up with two possibly three vehicles per residence. All well  and good being able to nip to the shops on shanksy's pony, but not to work in one of the outer Douglas business  parks. Thats my two pennith's.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

There will be enough space to hang 200 bicycles, if its good enough for Dukes Street where they changed planning so as to not have to supply underground parking. If the plebs in Government are naive enough to believe everybody will get on a bike they deserve the chaos that would will be forth coming. Just look at DBC management who thought fortnightly collections was a good idea, this would pale into insignificance when you end up with two possibly three vehicles per residence. All well  and good being able to nip to the shops on shanksy's pony, but not to work in one of the outer Douglas business  parks. Thats my two pennith's.

If it’s social housing maybe they’d get away with it. On the new site in Peel Road there’s a fairly big carpark that never looks over blocked but they’re a lot of old folk in there I think who moved up from Lord St who won’t have cars as they wouldn’t have had cars in Lord St either. But the whole bicycle thing is idiotic. Very few will be using the fantasy 200 bicycle racks. It’s just a ruse to get round planning by pretending it’s going to be some sort of eco-village purely because clearly there will never be enough parking anywhere near to justify the scale of the proposals. So Douglas’ streets can now be clogged with both rubbish and parked cars. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

One must remember as offshoremanxman says the tenants in the new flats are the same ones from Lord St so most never had a vehicle to start with, the 200 bicycle hangers is just in my imagination and not part of the plan Yet. This is just to pre- empt the statement "well it works at the peel road development, I take it they are expecting sell the apartments and therfore the owners will be wanting to bring their existing cars with them. Unless they propose to sell with the caveats No cars No kids(who will aspire to own a car later in life)No pets(to keep the stench of waste to minium with fortnightly bin collections).

Welcome to 1984 

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

There will be enough space to hang 200 bicycles,

From there to Strand Street is downhill - but unfortunately uphill on the way back. Far too steep for me to pedal, maybe so for others. So the obvious thing to do is to use a bike with an electric motor, which requires a battery, which requires charging points at the bike storage area.

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

So the obvious thing to do is to use a bike with an electric motor, which requires a battery, which requires charging points at the bike storage area.

Can't you just unclip your battery and charge it indoors?

Most bike batteries can be charged either on the bike or separately. (Also - most people are not going to be hanging-up their electric bike. Hanging bikes makes sense for lightweight bikes only.)

• Like 1

Lots of the usual negative Manx crab like comments but good to see lots of positive ones as well. I don't do social but I dread to think what all the 'property experts' on there have to say about it.

The MDC has to purchase any land from Government at market price, they fund it themselves (or raise external funding), they have to make a profit. They are not a quasi-Government entity. If you knew the chairman, Sean Gilbert, you would know he is anything but a civil servant. He is a property man through and through and is not afraid to challenge Government on anything development related. Their remit is brown field sites but not necessarily related to housing. 

I implore anyone to go along and see the MDC team present the scheme, they are passionate about developing and are not afraid to answer questions raised. As someone has already said people will not attend but will profess their expertise online. 

Just to add I have nothing to do with the MDC!  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Get a life said:

The MDC has to purchase any land from Government at market price, they fund it themselves (or raise external funding), they have to make a profit. They are not a quasi-Government entity.

Not expressly true

https://www.gov.im/media/1375598/manx-development-corporation-shareholder-agreement.pdf

Section 14.1.4

There are various ways the land purchase can be structured including under license from IOMG or deferred with IOMG having a charge over the land. 

And they have a share holder agreement / debenture in place for government funding so often even if they fund up front they’ll buy sites off government with government money. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Not expressly true

https://www.gov.im/media/1375598/manx-development-corporation-shareholder-agreement.pdf

Section 14.1.4

There are various ways the land purchase can be structured including under license from IOMG or deferred with IOMG having a charge over the land. 

And they have a share holder agreement / debenture in place for government funding so often even if they fund up front they’ll buy sites off government with government money. 

FFS stop being the typical Manx Crab about anything new or any changes!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1