Will the SPCo destroy what tourism sector we have left?

Max Power

26 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And, what happens when it dawns on many of the people now in their 20s/30s with school age children...who suddenly realise that their kids can't afford to live here when they get to 18?

It's already happening. If they are not locals, they leave.

If they're locals, they won't see much of their grown up kids after they turn 18.

1000 youngsters under 30 have been leaving the island every year since 2011. Instead, we're importing retirees not workers.

The island is currently being financially cleansed of its young.

We need more of an incentive for graduates to return particularly in medicine, engineering etc maybe tie university funding into returning to IOM for minimum 5 years, sponsorship through universities like some large companies do which is tied into guaranteed job at end etc

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, finlo said:

All down to the government facilitating the likes of Dandara over the last thirty odd years with buy to let.

That doesn't seem to be going away. Are they the letting agent and seller?  Lots of off island advertising promising a 10% Apr on the rental income, that's after dandara take their slice

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And, what happens when it dawns on many of the people now in their 20s/30s with school age children...who suddenly realise that their kids can't afford to live here when they get to 18?

If they're locals, they won't see much of their grown up kids after they turn 18.

1000 youngsters under 30 have been leaving the island every year since 2011. Instead, we're importing retirees not workers.

It's the short-term, desperate pursuit of Govt revenue; and it drives home just how short-term it is. Attracting retirees here in the blind belief that they're all wealthy philanthropists who will save our Island economy - in comparison, our young have nothing to offer and certainly no money.

Horrible, blindfolded approach.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We need workers not (retiree) shirkers

It's OK if they come over, bring loads of money and massive pensions that they spend liberally in our economy and pay lots of lovely taxes. Preferably they use private medicine too.

Unfortunately, the ones we seem to attract here, even the massively wealthy, are predominantly the sort of individuals who are content to sit watching the rain outside the window while spending virtually nothing from one year's end to the next. What a pity.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you're young then for goodness' sake go and see more of the world before settling down. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

If you're young then for goodness' sake go and see more of the world before settling down. 

Absolutely. I'd live here in my 30s with a kid. In my 20s, I'd live in London. 

The NI rebate scheme for new arrivals/returnees is useful- I paid off the last of my student debt with my rebate- and I do wonder whether it could be expanded for shortage sectors such as medics, nurses, and teachers.

15 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This place is bloody grim for young adults.

Level 7 at Chester Street with your Fiesta, a trip to Maccies with your squad or a bag of 'Lemmo' and a trip to 1880sniff being the current nirvana offerings.

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

This place is bloody grim for young adults.

Level 7 at Chester Street with your Fiesta, a trip to Maccies with your squad or a bag of 'Lemmo' and a trip to 1880sniff being the current nirvana offerings.

In my case while living in England 1982 - 1986 I was able to attend events around the country, enjoy the culture in London. problem with just living on the rock is you think you know everything when in fact you know relatively little, just look at the local politicians.

FWIW 1986 I moved to Germany, then Belgium, then Switzerland, now in the south-west.

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

In my case while living in England 1982 - 1986 I was able to attend events around the country, enjoy the culture in London. problem with just living on the rock is you think you know everything when in fact you know relatively little, just look at the local politicians.

FWIW 1986 I moved to Germany, then Belgium, then Switzerland, now in the south-west.

Agreed, there's a huge, wide world out there. It's far too easy to be lured into the "IoM is the centre of the world and everywhere else is crime-ridden and mud huts" view, a view often propagated by those who have spent little time off it themselves and/or are in some sort of reality denial. Including some of our failing elected.