Will the SPCo destroy what tourism sector we have left?

Max Power

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Agreed, there's a huge, wide world out there. It's far too easy to be lured into the "IoM is the centre of the world and everywhere else is crime-ridden and mud huts" view, a view often propagated by those who have spent little time off it themselves and/or are in some sort of reality denial. Including some of our failing elected.

Indeed, many just come across as being very sad. Were I on the rock (I'm 65 now) then I wouldn't leave, but am very glad I spent my working life around Europe.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Agreed, there's a huge, wide world out there. It's far too easy to be lured into the "IoM is the centre of the world and everywhere else is crime-ridden and mud huts" view, a view often propagated by those who have spent little time off it themselves and/or are in some sort of reality denial. Including some of our failing elected.

There is some of that, I agree. On the other hand I've been around the world, lived elsewhere but I still come back to my adopted home with a feeling of "thank goodness I'm here". Plenty of other people think that way too. They're not all people who haven't been past Douglas.

I would certainly recommend the young to get off for a while and see other things though. I don't think I could have hacked it here full time in my 20s.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is some of that, I agree. On the other hand I've been around the world, lived elsewhere but I still come back to my adopted home with a feeling of "thank goodness I'm here". Plenty of other people think that way too. They're not all people who haven't been past Douglas.

I would certainly recommend the young to get off for a while and see other things though. I don't think I could have hacked it here full time in my 20s.

For a quiet, retired life the IOM is very good - further south is warmer by 2 to 3 degrees C,