Will the SPCo destroy what tourism sector we have left?

Max Power

45 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm a fan of the Packet but I'm struggling to reconcile their fare structure. A visit to their site seems to confirm a whole host of complaints I have heard from potential visitors to the TT and MGP, and even outside of these peak times. 

£265 return for a foot passenger, £98 outside of this. 

It wouldn't be half so bad if there was a tourism industry here to service the needs of tourists, but we have watched that dissolve into nothing over the years. Around TT time, and now the MGP, hospitality is way overpriced for what is on offer.

I really think that without some action, we are staring down the barrel of a gun as far as being a viable destination is concerned. We can't sustain high fares and high accommodation costs on top of mediocre value.

This of course is not to mention the costs of shipping to businesses, which is in turn contributing to our expensive tourism offering and the costs of living here.    

For the amount the TT & MGP cost the taxpayer to put on, it's not unreasonable to expect fans of the event to pump a bit of money back into the economy. 

It's the same whenever there is a 'world class' event on - prices go up. It was the same when I went to South Africa for the world cup, prices went up. So if the TT claims to be a world class event then visitors should expect to pay world class prices. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So if the TT claims to be a world class event then visitors should expect to pay world class prices. 

Spot on.

General admission for race day at Silverstone for MotoGP is £85. Grandstands start at £145. For the F1- which is sold out- general admission is £299 and grandstands start at £399. For one day.

TT is popular and popular things cost top dollar. The market will set its own price for TT fortnight. The fact the boats are full mean that the price isn't too high. If some people can't afford it then that's too bad, I can't afford F1 tickets but don't expect Silverstone to lower the price if others will pay it.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Not if we are talking about the audience for the TT. It's increasingly geriatric.

Nightlife is not something you can invent. It happens organically to meet genuine demand. If the demand existed it would happen.

Thread title is tourism not TT?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

For the amount the TT & MGP cost the taxpayer to put on, it's not unreasonable to expect fans of the event to pump a bit of money back into the economy. 

It's the same whenever there is a 'world class' event on - prices go up. It was the same when I went to South Africa for the world cup, prices went up. So if the TT claims to be a world class event then visitors should expect to pay world class prices. 

I used the TT and MGP as examples of the top end of pricing, it's tourism in general which doesn't stand a chance. And it's increasingly expensive for businesses too. This adds to the spiral of costs, for us and the tourist.

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I used the TT and MGP as examples of the top end of pricing, it's tourism in general which doesn't stand a chance. And it's increasingly expensive for businesses too. This adds to the spiral of costs, for us and the tourist.

But loads of £42rtn foot passenger fares available in July which doesn't seem too expensive.

What price do you think they should be?.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

it's tourism in general which doesn't stand a chance. And it's increasingly expensive for businesses too. This adds to the spiral of costs, for us and the tourist.

It's a relatively long crossing, the fares really aren't outlandish. The crossing is a disincentive in coming here compared to, say, the Lake District, but that's always going to be the case regardless of fares. The timing makes it less convenient.

For foot passengers the sail/rail fares are reasonable, but not widely publicised. A sail/rail return to London maxes out at £169. That's good. Less with a railcard.

Just looked for a random Saturday in August. £49 return foot passenger. How much cheaper do you think it should be?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But loads of £42rtn foot passenger fares available in July which doesn't seem too expensive.

What price do you think they should be?.

Yes, agreed but people can't always book off peak travel to suit the SPCo's quiet periods, I know we are basing the fares on other major destinations and how they function. We are not a major destination, we have watched our island slowly decline in its tourism offer. If we are expecting 500,000 tourists to visit, we need to be offering consistent and value for money travel and accommodation

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Do we actually even need tourism? 

It's a low pay industry that accounts for very little in GDP. The wages of those in tourism are often topped up with government benefits as many fall below the tax threshold. 

So-called holiday cottages remove much needed housing from the local housing stock, in turn forcing up rents and property prices of the market. 

So-called tourist attractions lose money hand over fist on an annual basis. Railways, trams, crappy museums - all of it rinses the taxpayer and doesn't have a snowflake in hells chance of breaking even. Then they need millions sinking in to them - just look at this week's story about the Peggy. 

Let tourism go. It's yesterdays industry. 

Concentrate on making the island an amazing place where people want to live and develop sustainable, non-tax draining business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1