Will the SPCo destroy what tourism sector we have left?

Max Power

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Totally agree, you don't have to look too far back to see examples of this.

The nationalisation of the Racket was a golden opportunity to breath new life into tourism here. We use it to easily heavily subsidise the cost of getting here, specifically for tourists (not residents), subsidise more in quiet periods, it could have made a huge difference.

Instead we pay many, many millions more than we should have for a company we've now had to invest further millions into and let the same crooks who were running it before run it at arms length - the worst of both worlds!

It really makes you wonder whether we'll ever have any politicians with imagination or any vision, other than throwing money at people to come and live here to pay for their gold plated pensions.

What a load of bollocks!! The people running the company are experienced professionals, have no stake in company & are running it on our behalf to make a profit.

Only idiots would like to see taxpayers money used to subsidize tourism more than it already is !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m watching with great interest whether there’s a design problem with the new boat and therefore who they’ll have to register it with. Heard that it cannot be registered here. No idea whether it’s true or not but is a usually reliable SPC source.

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

What a load of bollocks!! The people running the company are experienced professionals, have no stake in company & are running it on our behalf to make a profit.

Only idiots would like to see taxpayers money used to subsidize tourism more than it already is !

Well, enough of our money went on subsidising the banks, Banker.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satan666 said:

I’m watching with great interest whether there’s a design problem with the new boat and therefore who they’ll have to register it with. Heard that it cannot be registered here. No idea whether it’s true or not but is a usually reliable SPC source.

Can’t be registered here until it’s inspected by our Ship Registry. They could fly to Korea or wait.

More concerning is that there has only been one sea trial. 6 weeks ago. Won’t to leaving Korea until SPCo accept it.

I was told by one steam packet crew that she’d stripped a gear box, and another, probably more reliable, that bearings had failed. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

If off-peak fares were stratospheric I'd agree, but they're not. For TT, my view is that if the boats are full then there's room to charge a bit more. It's what airlines and private ferry companies do.

The only downside is where residents need to travel at TT time, there should be a discount for residents.

I think the thing to consider is, how many people are put off by the sky high fares when we could be encouraging more to attend? Things can reach a critical point where there is an impression that the event is poor due to low attendance. Atmosphere is created by people, so is business turnover! It's all well and good the SPCo fleecing everyone to the detriment of the rest of the industry long term.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Rather have it subsidise the finance sector by millions and million more. At least as Max has said, tourism increases the quality of life for residents too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Rather have it subsidise the finance sector by millions and million more. At least as Max has said, tourism increases the quality of life for residents too.

What Iom taxpayers money is being used to subsidize finance sector? The finance sector is the only thing keeping the IOM going!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, asitis said:

I'm not sure about what point the golden goose gets mortally wounded though in respect of maximising TT revenues !

Thats the issue. Charge too much and people will reject being ripped off and you lose that customer for life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think the thing to consider is, how many people are put off by the sky high fares when we could be encouraging more to attend? Things can reach a critical point where there is an impression that the event is poor due to low attendance. Atmosphere is created by people, so is business turnover! It's all well and good the SPCo fleecing everyone to the detriment of the rest of the industry long term.   

Why would the IOM want to attract the "Type" of tourists that can afford to go there?

Atmosphere is as you say' created by the people present/ go there, but it does not put money in the bank of the service industry.

Low income tourists that can't afford to go somewhere nice, (and go to the IOM because its cheap) will not improve the IOM's offering re hotels and restaurants for the IOM's remaining residents that manage to stick out the next decade or two of the island's decline.

The IOM's offering, from my visit a couple of months ago has actually gone down hill, if that were possible.

For comparison and maybe Derek or GD4ELI can back this up?  I live in a rural affluent area in the North of England and can go to Michelin starred restaurants and 5*+ hotels within a 30 minute drive. I do not see "tourists" using these facilities, just locals and peeps on business. The area sustains these types of businesses' because the residents are wealthy.

People who set up new businesses' in my area are encouraged and supported, not pulled back down into crab pot. (Which when I told my new neighbours and friends about, the Manx Crab, they could not comprehend that attitude). Business premises' rents are sensible - unless town centre

You need to create a wealthy population to get good places like this. You do not get it by attracting the Bucket and Spade lot from the 70s, or bikers who sleep in tents.................

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Satan666 said:

I have heard similar, to do with the number of lifeboats/life rafts not complying with UK regulations (and IOM comes under UK regs for shipping)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I was told by one steam packet crew that she’d stripped a gear box, and another, probably more reliable, that bearings had failed.

Let us hope that it is not going to be another IoM film industry sequel - "Return of The Cabbage - Part Deux"

• Haha 1

The Steam Packet is a Company it is in business to make a profit of course it will charge more at peak times.   The rail fares across are eye watering, holidays abroad have shot up in price if people want to come they will pay and remember once they get here the main event, the races, are free to watch unless you want to use the grandstand at every other sporting event there is an admission charge.