Will the SPCo destroy what tourism sector we have left?

Max Power

55 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Steam Packet is a Company it is in business to make a profit of course it will charge more at peak times.   The rail fares across are eye watering, holidays abroad have shot up in price if people want to come they will pay and remember once they get here the main event, the races, are free to watch unless you want to use the grandstand at every other sporting event there is an admission charge.

There's charging more, justifiably, and breaking the back of tourism. Many 'bikers' are far from poor and will pay to come to a place where things are happening and there's a buzz. Some really wealthy, and I do mean wealthy, foreign visitors actually camp at the Rugby Club, it's all they can get but they enjoy the atmosphere. Judging bikers by their attire and interest is a fatal error! If you appeal to just one section which is a minority, the whole thing becomes less attractive. One feeds off the other. 

I don't blame the SPCo for trying to be profitable but we only have a few peaks throughout the year, we can't fall back on year round business like many places.  

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's charging more, justifiably, and breaking the back of tourism. Many 'bikers' are far from poor and will pay to come to a place where things are happening and there's a buzz. Some really wealthy, and I do mean wealthy, foreign visitors actually camp at the Rugby Club, it's all they can get but they enjoy the atmosphere. Judging bikers by their attire and interest is a fatal error! If you appeal to just one section which is a minority, the whole thing becomes less attractive. One feeds off the other. 

I don't blame the SPCo for trying to be profitable but we only have a few peaks throughout the year, we can't fall back on year round business like many places.  

But as has been pointed out by myself & others they are not expensive except at a few peak times, exactly the same as every other airline & ferry worldwide!!

Im paying £329 return for car plus 2 end June which I think is very reasonable.

For some reason some locals think they should travel for very low fares & tourists should be subsidized by all taxpayers whether they travel by boat or not

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

and remember once they get here the main event, the races, are free to watch unless you want to use the grandstand at every other sporting event there is an admission charge.

Of course we have an admission charge. It’s the cost of getting here - 100% of which goes to a company 100% owned by IOM Treasury. It would appear that this is what they are looking to do with fares which is to charge a premium to “admit” people into the IOM for the events.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

But as has been pointed out by myself & others they are not expensive except at a few peak times, exactly the same as every other airline & ferry worldwide!!

Im paying £329 return for car plus 2 end June which I think is very reasonable.

For some reason some locals think they should travel for very low fares & tourists should be subsidized by all taxpayers whether they travel by boat or not

As I say, £296 as a foot passenger is ridiculous, no matter what you may think, the vehicle fares are extortionate. I am well aware that there are cheaper fares available at non peak times but you are missing the point completely. 

Fleece everyone, and they bloody well are, they will kill the peak times for themselves and everyone. There's no harm in charging more, but it has to be reasonable. 

This is not a request for subsidised fares, it's a call for common sense and long term strategic thinking!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

I have heard similar, to do with the number of lifeboats/life rafts not complying with UK regulations (and IOM comes under UK regs for shipping)

IoM has its own legislation and regulations, although on this they are identical to the UK Regs because the number, and type, of lifeboats and life rafts are not arbitrary, but set by international agreement, SOLAS.

There  must be lifeboats and life rafts for at least 50% of passengers/crew on each side of the ferry, together  with a 25%, minimum,  total oversupply.

There are also regulations as to the time within which they can be deployed and passengers evacuated into them.

Naval architects are well aware of the design parameters as they apply to every passenger vessel they design.

The regulations also cover what each lifeboat or raft shall carry, transmitters, other survival and communication equipment, motor power, one fast rescue craft for picking up people who are in the water.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

IoM has its own legislation and regulations, although on this they are identical to the UK Regs because the number, and type, of lifeboats and life rafts are not arbitrary, but set by international agreement, SOLAS.

There  must be lifeboats and life rafts for at least 50% of passengers/crew on each side of the ferry, together  with a 25%, minimum,  total oversupply.

There are also regulations as to the time within which they can be deployed and passengers evacuated into them.

Naval architects are well aware of the design parameters as they apply to every passenger vessel they design.

The regulations also cover what each lifeboat or raft shall carry, transmitters, other survival and communication equipment, motor power, one fast rescue craft for picking up people who are in the water.

Seems more likely the thing has dropped a bollock and needs attention before being accepted.

IOMSPC are experts in their area. We're not talking about something DOI commissioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

There's charging more, justifiably, and breaking the back of tourism.

Tourism has been the sickman of the Manx economy for over 30 years. It doesn't have a back to break. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

we only have a few peaks throughout the year

All the more reason to exploit those peaks.

58 minutes ago, Max Power said:

£296 as a foot passenger is ridiculous,

It's  acceptable to the market as people are paying it and it's selling out.

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Seems more likely the thing has dropped a bollock and needs attention before being accepted.

IOMSPC are experts in their area. We're not talking about something DOI commissioned.

Agreed, that's what sea trials are for.

As for the lifeboat issue, I heard a few rumblings about the fact that inflatables were being used like the seacat, this doesn't sit well with the traditionalists but is apparently within the requirements laid down.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Tourism has been the sickman of the Manx economy for over 30 years. It doesn't have a back to break. 

All the more reason to exploit those peaks.

It's  acceptable to the market as people are paying it and it's selling out.

It could break the back of the TT, S100 and MGP though. 

I don't like being exploited, and many others don't either!

Are you sure it's selling out, it usually is but you can still book those peak fares?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It could break the back of the TT, S100 and MGP though. 

It seems likely that these events cost the govt/public more than they generate - when all of the associated costs are taken into account.

As you have no noted there is insufficient accommodation for the kind of numbers who once used to turn up. And far too few boats to get them all here any longer. It therefore make sense to charge fewer people more money.

The island is a wonderful place to visit but the days of mass tourism are certainly over. Today it's a niche destination for people looking for a little peace and tranquility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Who determines the market rate, and at what point does it become the rate that many will not pay? 

The market determines the price.

If someone sells a product or service then the market price is the highest which people will widely pay. Once the price is too high then the market will no longer support it.