Island lacks social vibrancy!

Max Power

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/population-rebalancing-report-says-the-isle-of-man-lacks-social-vibrancy-589097

Well Whoop di Doo!

I've been saying this for years in my failed Keys campaigns and elsewhere, It's taken years for an actual study to bloody prove it to the idiots we have in power!

We're never going to be Ibiza but we are a dead hole as far as anything related to nightlife or entertainment is concerned. We listened to the grey haired judiciary and chief constables who couldn't see a balance in having a vibrant nightlife and being a Methodist shit tip, now we know the costs! 

As I say in another thread, a vibrant society is good for both tourism and locals alike, but we have actively clamped down heavily on this to make life easy for police and other government agencies. Young people want vibrancy, where is it? 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Understatement of the last 10 years.

Planning...decided by 70 year olds that holidayed here in the 50s/60s.

You need to be a family or old to move here.

We'll never get people under 30 in the new industries to move here. They can't afford to live here and there's nothing for them to do, and few places to meet people even if they've moved here.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/population-rebalancing-report-says-the-isle-of-man-lacks-social-vibrancy-589097

Well Whoop di Doo!

I've been saying this for years in my failed Keys campaigns and elsewhere, It's taken years for an actual study to bloody prove it to the idiots we have in power!

We're never going to be Ibiza but we are a dead hole as far as anything related to nightlife or entertainment is concerned. We listened to the grey haired judiciary and chief constables who couldn't see a balance in having a vibrant nightlife and being a Methodist shit tip, now we know the costs! 

As I say in another thread, a vibrant society is good for both tourism and locals alike, but we have actively clamped down heavily on this to make life easy for police and other government agencies. Young people want vibrancy, where is it? 

Throwing even more money at heritage shite and motorbikes isn't going to make the island any more vibrant.

If you want to make the island more vibrant then it needs a root and branch reform of the way Government looks at the population.

It needs affordable housing to start with. By affordable that's either a reasonable multiple of an average salary - or rents that are no more than a certain percentage of monthly pay.

Then you need to sort out the health service with properly paid staff, waiting lists that meet all the targets they should and access to an NHS GP or dentist within 48 hours. 

After that you reform the rules and support around families to encourage families to move here. Better childcare and funded by government to a certain level so people are free to return to work. 

Once you have those foundation stones in place we would see a better structured population, people would have money to spend on nightlife and other entertainment. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A lot of it is down to our doomed tourism strategy (which isn’t any sort of strategy). There just isn’t enough people either living here or coming here to make a lot of things that you’d have in the UK viable. Then add on top ridiculous house prices and nobody can afford to go anywhere anyway as they’re just servicing debt or paying extortionate rents. If you remember back to the number of venues and pubs up to the mid 1990s when the place was absolutely bouncing there’s nothing here now to keep kids here. I remember a mate from the UK coming over early 1990s when you had a few thousand people in the Lido on a Saturday night all wasted with a full laser show on then all the venues and hotel bars on the prom. He thought it was fantastic and better than you’d have got in the average UK town at the time. Now people in their 20s are struggling to find anywhere that isn’t a rip off and at best slightly worse than you’d get anywhere in a main town in the UK. Then you have almost non existent public services, the general cost of living, utility costs, and the cost of getting on and off the IOM and it’s no surprise kids are leaving and not coming back. The IOM is just a retirement home and the best we can aspire to now as new residents is a load of moaning Brexit loving pensioners moving here because they’ve been told they can save a few quid in tax and they’ll see a few less diverse faces in Tescos. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If you want to make the island more vibrant then it needs a root and branch reform of the way Government looks at the population.

It needs affordable housing to start with. By affordable that's either a reasonable multiple of an average salary - or rents that are no more than a certain percentage of monthly pay.

Then you need to sort out the health service with properly paid staff, waiting lists that meet all the targets they should and access to an NHS GP or dentist within 48 hours. 

After that you reform the rules and support around families to encourage families to move here. Better childcare and funded by government to a certain level so people are free to return to work. 

Totally agree. 

Estonia has turned itself around and would be a useful example to follow in some of these aspects.

I know some of my family and friends will not come here actually because of the bikes...

Edited by Apple
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Throwing even more money at heritage shite and motorbikes isn't going to make the island any more vibrant.

Once you have those foundation stones in place we would see a better structured population, people would have money to spend on nightlife and other entertainment. 

Our heritage is the Vikings IMO. Language, culture and even road signs and govt vans.

Not Victorian tat...even the Victorian's/Edwardians had the sense to scrap that which didn't work out (Douglas Pier, railways etc.) even when we had 100k tourists on the island each day then.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Our heritage is the Vikings IMO. Language, culture and even road signs and govt vans.

Is that what people going on holiday want anymore, when its cheaper and warmer to go to somewhere sunny to look at heritage sites .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Apple said:

Is that what people going on holiday want anymore, when it’s cheaper and warmer to go to somewhere sunny to look at heritage sites .

No it isn’t. I was down in Jersey the other week and at least for a long weekend you’ve got great restaurants and bars. Lovely beaches even at this time of year and a brilliant leisure centre in town that pisses all over the NSC. Oh and duty free shopping. Plus some really nice hotels to stay in unlike here. They have some heritage and signs in French but I doubt it’s the main reason why anyone goes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No it isn’t. I was down in Jersey the other week and at least for a long weekend you’ve got great restaurants and bars. Lovely beaches even at this time of year and a brilliant leisure centre in town that pisses all over the NSC. Oh and duty free shopping. Plus some really nice hotels to stay in unlike here. They have some heritage and signs in French but I doubt it’s the main reason why anyone goes. 

But to have any of the above, you’d need somebody in government who knew the value of having a thriving hospitality industry

• Like 4