Island lacks social vibrancy!

Max Power

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It certainly couldn't have been any loss incurred by Govt presentations and seminars, long thousands attended them.

According to Govt.

I'm wondering if a series of niche events could help our tourism sector, and help make the place more vibrant.

We have the TT, cycling events, I was in the Railway Inn last year when the students walking thing was on and was actually amazed by the number of people walking past/coming in, all young. We had the viking festival thing years ago that street heritage promoted and was actually impressive.

Some Pontins sites across have music festivals out of season, it would be great if there was priming funding for something like that over here, but it needs to be done with younger people over here and not given to them by older people who, while having the money, may not know what the former actually want. 

For older people, we have war weekend thing, short 'train' breaks etc.  there are things going on and doing well, we need the political will to ramp it up a bit

Is there a link anywhere to the report referred to in the IoMtoday article?  (The article doesn't seem to have a link itself and I can never find anything on the iom.gov/Tynwald websites).

Also, are those graphs at the top of the article from the report?  They seem to be attributed to "Paul Craine: Isle of Man Population Atlas".  They don't particularly seem to illustrate anything reported in the article?

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

Is there a link anywhere to the report referred to in the IoMtoday article?  (The article doesn't seem to have a link itself and I can never find anything on the iom.gov/Tynwald websites).

Also, are those graphs at the top of the article from the report?  They seem to be attributed to "Paul Craine: Isle of Man Population Atlas".  They don't particularly seem to illustrate anything reported in the article?

The report is:

REPORT OF THE SELECT COMMITTEE OF TYNWALD ON POPULATION REBALANCING 2022-23

Though the pdf may open in a strange way.  The graphs are in the report but there are also links to Paul Craine's website where they are from.  Newspapers tend to illustrate articles fairly arbitrarily at the best of times (hence all those dreadful stock photos) so they were probably just chosen at random.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1