Island lacks social vibrancy!

Max Power

22 hours ago, Apple said:

Totally agree. 

Estonia has turned itself around and would be a useful example to follow in some of these aspects.

I know some of my family and friends will not come here actually because of the bikes...

Well they are just silly. It’s like saying your family and friends  won’t come here because some of the cats don’t have a tail.

The cats are here all year round not just two or four weeks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well they are just silly. It’s like saying your family and friends  won’t come here because some of the cats don’t have a tail.

The cats are here all year round not just two or four weeks 

Thats exactly what I said. Strange isn't it.....

22 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

No it isn’t. I was down in Jersey the other week and at least for a long weekend you’ve got great restaurants and bars. Lovely beaches even at this time of year and a brilliant leisure centre in town that pisses all over the NSC. Oh and duty free shopping. Plus some really nice hotels to stay in unlike here. They have some heritage and signs in French but I doubt it’s the main reason why anyone goes. 

I’ve been to Jersey on many ( mainly work related) occasions.

Weather apart it couldn’t hold a candle to the Isle of Man.

A Jersey person coming here and being directed to what you call “ great restaurants and bars” may form the same great opinion about the IOM. Both have their share of good and bad.

We have lovely beaches but unlike Jersey also have other places  to visit other than the capital.

Re the leisure Centre are you talking about the fort in St  Helier ? It’s OK

Jersey has St Helier but apart from that only has the odd village/ hamlet ( St Ouens par example). which have sod all to see and do. They may have a pub if you’re lucky We have a quite a number of  towns, villages (Ramsey , Peel, Castletown to name but three), not a one horse town.

Perhaps you should relocate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:30 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Our heritage is the Vikings IMO. Language, culture and even road signs and govt vans.

Not Victorian tat...even the Victorian's/Edwardians had the sense to scrap that which didn't work out (Douglas Pier, railways etc.) even when we had 100k tourists on the island each day then.

But is anyone, apart from us, really interested in our heritage?  It is remarkable only to locals who appreciate the context of the history and is hardly world informing.

TBH, we put too much store in our heritage, it really is not that significant to the outside world, there is very little unique or spectacular.

I value our heritage but don't expect many from outside of the IOM would be enticed sufficiently to spend a week exploring it.  They may come for the variety of landscape in a small area, a bit of craic and entertainment  but not for very much more. 

It's a bit like doing your family history and expecting strangers to be as equally fascinated by it as you are. 

It would be better to work on making it a desirable destination for what is currently going on,  and then those who are interested can find out about another dimension as a pleasant surprise.  We will never be able to use our heritage as a draw like many other truly world heritage sites.  It is delusional. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No doubt that this will be tied into the falling birth rate, down 50% as made the headlines in the local press last week.

If young people aren't attracted here, either through immigration or even staying here if they were born here and the additional burden of being mortgaged up to the hilt through property purchase or rental making having kids unaffordable then the future for the population is that of an ageing demographic.

Naturally, ably assisted by our "culture" of not countenancing change or much in the way of "modern" by being obsessed with our past, with the Govt taking the lead in this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's a long term plan, but ensuring that peoples childhoods are the best that they can possibly be is the way to secure the future. Of course, all politicians must have had shit upbringings cos they hate the yoof, otherwise they'd do something useful for them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve been to Jersey on many ( mainly work related) occasions.

Weather apart it couldn’t hold a candle to the Isle of Man.

A Jersey person coming here and being directed to what you call “ great restaurants and bars” may form the same great opinion about the IOM. Both have their share of good and bad.

We have lovely beaches but unlike Jersey also have other places  to visit other than the capital.

Re the leisure Centre are you talking about the fort in St  Helier ? It’s OK

Jersey has St Helier but apart from that only has the odd village/ hamlet ( St Ouens par example). which have sod all to see and do. They may have a pub if you’re lucky We have a quite a number of  towns, villages (Ramsey , Peel, Castletown to name but three), not a one horse town.

Perhaps you should relocate?

Jersey also has a population of c108k in an island only 9 miles by 4 so they can support a wider range of restaurants etc, if we had similar density so would we!!

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

But is anyone, apart from us, really interested in our heritage?  It is remarkable only to locals who appreciate the context of the history and is hardly world informing.

TBH, we put too much store in our heritage, it really is not that significant to the outside world, there is very little unique or spectacular.

I value our heritage but don't expect many from outside of the IOM would be enticed sufficiently to spend a week exploring it.  They may come for the variety of landscape in a small area, a bit of craic and entertainment  but not for very much more. 

It's a bit like doing your family history and expecting strangers to be as equally fascinated by it as you are. 

It would be better to work on making it a desirable destination for what is currently going on,  and then those who are interested can find out about another dimension as a pleasant surprise.  We will never be able to use our heritage as a draw like many other truly world heritage sites.  It is delusional. 

I agree we are not going to be a mass market tourist destination again. However, I think seeing our heritage in isolation from our scenery in terms of a draw for a sector of the tourist trade that we are can attract, is a mistake. We can offer, in a relatively small area, a variety of landscapes and historical sites/streetscapes etc. 

What we don't even do is maintain what we have. My son was recently over with a mate, said the House of Manannan was really disappointing, the animatronics weren't working, etc. The footpaths, which should be wonderful asset, are a state, overgrown in places, worn away or even closed. The government washed it's hands of Ramsey pier. These things can't be seen in isolation.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I agree we are not going to be a mass market tourist destination again. However, I think seeing our heritage in isolation from our scenery in terms of a draw for a sector of the tourist trade that we are can attract, is a mistake. We can offer, in a relatively small area, a variety of landscapes and historical sites/streetscapes etc. 

What we don't even do is maintain what we have. My son was recently over with a mate, said the House of Manannan was really disappointing, the animatronics weren't working, etc. The footpaths, which should be wonderful asset, are a state, overgrown in places, worn away or even closed. The government washed it's hands of Ramsey pier. These things can't be seen in isolation.

I agree re maintenance, and I am not seeing heritage in isolation but as a small part of the overall offering which is given disproportionate attention,  ignoring the real things that will draw visitors. 

You can't create nightlife. Nightlife creates itself.

What you can create is an environment where the nightlife will create itself. Affordable housing attracts younger people. An affordable cost of living attracts younger people. Younger people create their own nightlife. So the solution is to sort out the housing and sort out the cost of living.

Start by stopping Manx Telecom from charging £60 for broadband that would cost £20 in England. Start by stopping Manx Gas taking the piss. Start by making developers build affordable homes rather than 5-bed executive detached homes.

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

I can't think of many other places where you can be standing 2000ft up a few miles from the sea. The coastline around Niarbyl is stunning.

You can't move in the Lake District for tourists in summer. Now we're never going to attract those numbers as the plane/boat adds inconvenience- although we should advertise sail/rail better, especially on the Liverpool route in summer. But our landscape is as stunning as much of the Lake District. And the heritage is part of that, you can ride a tram to the top of Snaefell, you can take a steam train to Port Erin.

Where we fail is tourist transport. Look at Jersey or the Isle of Wight and the tourist buses they support across their islands. Instead we have three buses a day to Niarbyl, none to the Sound, none to the Point of Ayre, none to South Barrule. If you don't hire a car or come on a coach trip then you're seeing nothing of the island.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

can't think of many other places where you can be standing 2000ft up a few miles from the sea. The coastline around Niarbyl is stunning.

You can't move in the Lake District for tourists in summer. Now we're never going to attract those numbers as the plane/boat adds inconvenience- although we should advertise sail/rail better, especially on the Liverpool route in summer. But our landscape is as stunning as much of the Lake District. And the heritage is part of that, you can ride a tram to the top of Snaefell, you can take a steam train to Port Erin.

Where we fail is tourist transport. Look at Jersey or the Isle of Wight and the tourist buses they support across their islands. Instead we have three buses a day to Niarbyl, none to the Sound, none to the Point of Ayre, none to South Barrule. If you don't hire a car or come on a coach trip then you're seeing nothing of the island.

Tourism is not the answer to social vibrancy. While the Lake District may be popular in summer, it's hardly a place that many would describe as socially vibrant. 

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Tourism is not the answer to social vibrancy. While the Lake District may be popular in summer, it's hardly a place that many would describe as socially vibrant. 

Tourism can create and sustain the infrastructure which keeps a place vibrant. 
The Lake District has a particular type of tourism, quiet and tranquil seeking clientele. If that’s what we want, we won’t be attractive to younger people anyway!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wake Up Call said:

Government has a track record of repeated failure. There are no energised individuals newly installed to do anything new.

More of the same. Grey people who couldn't survive in private business make the decisions. Nothing will change. 

Ruining businesses whilst they play

• Thanks 1