Island lacks social vibrancy!

Max Power

50 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Tourism can create and sustain the infrastructure which keeps a place vibrant. 
The Lake District has a particular type of tourism, quiet and tranquil seeking clientele. If that’s what we want, we won’t be attractive to younger people anyway!

Tourism infrastructure is great for tourists. 

Not so much working families.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Tourism is not the answer to social vibrancy. While the Lake District may be popular in summer, it's hardly a place that many would describe as socially vibrant

Depends what you mean by vibrant. It's not party city, no, but it sustains a very high quality restaurant sector, places like l'Enclume but also plenty of the pubs. I know she's biased as she's from Carlisle originally, but look at the places Grace Dent reviews in Cumbria. There are a lot of Michelin stars in Cumbria these days, and it's not just locals funding those.

But I'd agree, tourists don't create nightlife, people living here create nightlife. And the key is to make the place attractive and affordable to people.

It's a balance. Tourists bring money but too many tourists bring harm. Holiday homes are a big problem.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

The best places to visit on holiday are socially vibrant. Create a pleasant place with interesting things to do for the locals, then tourists will want to come. We've been putting the cart before the horse for decades - make the place somewhere great to live and the tourists will come; make somewhere great for tourists and no-one wants to live there. 

• Like 4

In our haste and focus to attract HNW and/or the middle-aged and elderly wealthy here as our economic salvation, we have neglected too much of the needs and wants required to maintain the interest of our younger generations.

Age also brings the attitude and outlook that goes along with it and that has been pandered to and adopted by our Govt. and authorities. Look at what happens if anybody proposes a nightclub or such facility for "the young". Immediate objections from the Police, the LA and the nimbys. Noise, litter, trouble, all the usual reasons are trotted out. Housing, living costs and entertainment have all diminished or adopted to suit the older demographic.

We have turned ourselves into the retirement backwater that the retired desire; with nothing to replace those retired as and when they croak, other than Govt retired of our own manufacture. Our "societal conveyor belt" of generations is broken. Of our own making, out of the belief that an economy and a society can be run on little more than a meagre tax-take from the wealthy/elderly and a VAT handback from the UK. 

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Jersey also has a population of c108k in an island only 9 miles by 4 so they can support a wider range of restaurants etc, if we had similar density so would we!!

I always felt that Jersey had an excellent cafe / restaurant / bar culture - driven by a number of things climate, size, tiered housing prices which meant many people rented centrally to their work - on occasion when I was there for work it was the norm to finish for the day and have food / beers etc in St Helier - a completely different mindset to the IOM where its get in you car at 5.01 and clear off to your New Build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I always felt that Jersey had an excellent cafe / restaurant / bar culture - driven by a number of things climate, size, tiered housing prices which meant many people rented centrally to their work - on occasion when I was there for work it was the norm to finish for the day and have food / beers etc in St Helier - a completely different mindset to the IOM where its get in you car at 5.01 and clear off to your New Build.

Your walk or taxi ride home after food or beers would cost zero to little in St. Helier.

Here it's £15 to Crosby or a three mile hike on an unlit & flimsy pavement.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Your walk or taxi ride home after food or beers would cost zero to little in St. Helier.

Here it's £15 to Crosby or a three mile hike on an unlit & flimsy pavement.   

Imagine if we could have some kind of courtesy taxi funded by local hospitality. 

The idea would need a bit of refining but it would cut out the need for a taxi. 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

The best places to visit on holiday are socially vibrant. Create a pleasant place with interesting things to do for the locals, then tourists will want to come. We've been putting the cart before the horse for decades - make the place somewhere great to live and the tourists will come; make somewhere great for tourists and no-one wants to live there. 

i'm afraid this is the usual bollocks from CABO. They're all in a spin about the Scottish Town First model so start pushing out stuff about lack of vibrancy (having fed the committee) so they can waste a tonne of money blindly copying someone else success (actually Scotland pinched the idea from the Northern powerhouse which is the Alty - as their response to the Trafford Centre killing the town). About 15 years ago I suggested compulsory purchase of some of the middle of Strand Street to create a central square which could have bars and cafes etc.. around it to do away with the windy tunnel of no light and was laughed out of court, but that's exactly what Alty did and it's not doing so badly now... 

https://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/life/18062012-recession-hit-high-streets-altrinchams-empty-shops-at-odds-with-affluent-market-towns-image/

https://altrincham.todaynews.co.uk/2018/11/15/news/champion-altrincham-named-englands-best-high-street-great-british-high-street-awards/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

That's the nail squarely hit on the head. 

Rather than trying to be some sort of shit Victorian theme park, if we create a decent place to live then people will want to visit.

23 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Well if they have 2 full time receptionists sitting in villa all day, flogging a few tickets, a bit of advice etc it will continue to lose a fortune. Sell the tickets from welcome centre & save probably £60k pa!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well if they have 2 full time receptionists sitting in villa all day, flogging a few tickets, a bit of advice etc it will continue to lose a fortune. Sell the tickets from welcome centre & save probably £60k pa!!

I always buy my tickets for the Villa Marina & The Gaiety either at the welcome centre or online.