Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

25 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well no one would. It’s a good thing.

But why do it whilst wearing a drag costume? Doesn’t make sense.

If you took your child  to Onchan park to have a  a go on the boating park., would you expect a male attendant calling “ come in number three your time is up” to be dressed in drag costume?

But I would expect it if I took my child to a show entitled Drag Queen Story Hour.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

But I would expect it if I took my child to a show entitled Drag Queen Story Hour.

That’s not really the issue. Did you read the link I posted?

Whether it’s accurate or not I don’t know but I can see why that would make people think it was not an appropriate booking even if they didn’t have an issue with the drag aspect

If it is not an issue and we are meant to be normalising it, why not just call it Story Hour? After all if it was a clown or a person of colour, would it be Clown Story Hour or BIPOC Story hour? Or just Story Hour? Put the performer on the literature or poster and be done with it. Then the market will decide if its wanted.

After all parents take kids to Pantomime all the time where guys dress as women and girls as boys. 

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

I wasn't replying to you.

You're link is from a "news" site that is basically story after story that are negative about trans women and drag.

I didn’t say it wasn’t.

It has however been regurgitated and Chinese whispered all over the place and is the basis for much of the concern from people who have seen a headline or heard a version of it without actually looking into the source or the validity of it.  Hence a lot of the uproar from people who quite possibly wouldn’t have an issue with the drag side if they hadn’t been fed the other information.

16 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

If it is not an issue and we are meant to be normalising it, why not just call it Story Hour? After all if it was a clown or a person of colour, would it be Clown Story Hour or BIPOC Story hour?

Or both (Portland, Or):

image.thumb.png.0a442d77bcdae490a5d62036ae56e1c0.png

People dressing up to tell stories to children has ben going on for ever.  And no doubt if there was a drag queen unannounced doing it, exactly the same people would be screaming because they hadn't been 'warned'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

If it is not an issue and we are meant to be normalising it, why not just call it Story Hour? After all if it was a clown or a person of colour, would it be Clown Story Hour or BIPOC Story hour? Or just Story Hour? Put the performer on the literature or poster and be done with it. Then the market will decide if its wanted.

After all parents take kids to Pantomime all the time where guys dress as women and girls as boys. 

Because it’s specifically drag story time not just story time. Drag is a specific entertainment discipline You wouldn’t advertise a pantomime as a play would you?

Now a transwoman reading stories would be just storytime. 

7 hours ago, Declan said:

Because it’s specifically drag story time not just story time. Drag is a specific entertainment discipline You wouldn’t advertise a pantomime as a play would you?

Now a transwoman reading stories would be just storytime. 

Well you don’t see the BBC newsreaders  ( Huw Edwards for example) presenting the news in a drag outfit

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's because drag is an entertainment (as is reading a story to kids) and reading the news isn't. 

Ok, well the men fixing things in the Repair Shop programme and the male experts on the Antiques Roadshow, (both coming under the entertainment category) don’t feel the need to wear womens clothing. How do you explain that?

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Ok, well the men fixing things in the Repair Shop programme and the male experts on the Antiques Roadshow, (both coming under the entertainment category) don’t feel the need to wear womens clothing. How do you explain that?

Have you got a head injury?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Because they don't want to.

However, drag and dressing up in women's clothing are not the same. I doubt there's any rule compelling male newsreaders or antiques experts to wear traditional male garb. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

. I doubt there's any rule compelling male newsreaders or antiques experts to wear traditional male garb. 

I suspect there is some sort of dress code written into their contracts. Whether it precludes them wearing a frock I don’t know. You probably wouldn’t be allowed to get away with that now.

Anyway Grayson Perry was always comfortable in female garb when on the telly. Although he seems to have ditched that for his latest project going round England exploring what being English means. Great series I highly recommend it.