Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

And yet stripping is absolutely nothing like performing drag. No correlation whatsoever. But somehow no comment on that. 

I am really not understanding your issue.  You raised strippers not being accepted at the guild and how that would be sexist.  Both Passing Time and I pointed out that strippers are not confined to one gender.  

What's the issue? 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s a performance art.

Quick chorus of I am what I am.

Its also incredibly politically subversive.

It’s no more performance art than Roy “ Chubby Brown”, who is also incredibly politically subversive.

They are both equally unfunny 

I have no time for either but each to their own I suppose.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Insertion of second paragraph
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s no more performance art than Roy “ Chubby Brown”, who is also incredibly politically subversive.

I have no time for either but each to their own I suppose.

Roy Chubby Brown isn't politically subversive, he's just a cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Guild goes Woke. 

It’s not bringing the event up to date. It’s dumbing down, for the sake of political correctness. Was this event non-inclusive, with members of the POC, and LGBTQ+ community being discriminating against? The competition was well established having taken place for many many years. As they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s not bringing the event up to date. It’s dumbing down, for the sake of political correctness. Was this event non-inclusive, with members of the POC, and LGBTQ+ community being discriminating against? The competition was well established having taken place for many many years. As they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Perhaps there was demand from the audiences. That tends to be why things get added/removed, rather than any sort of political interests.

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This is silly.  The Guild is constantly introducing new classes and categories in response to changing tastes and circumstances.  For example they've introduced a new class for community choirs this year as well.

• Like 1

This new class of competition will either be a roaring success, trailblazing and possibly setting itself as 'the' event for competitive drag artists further afield, or not.  The interesting thing is if there will be enough entrants to make it a real competition.