Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'll continue to use the traditional biological pronouns, thanks very much. That's my choice. I find these new ones dehumanising, degrading, dystopian, and a reminder of depersonalised slave terms from less enlightened times.

Referring to a trans woman as she is dehumanising? But calling her him against her wishes is a blow against slavery?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'll continue to use the traditional biological pronouns, thanks very much. That's my choice. I find these new ones dehumanising, degrading, dystopian, and a reminder of depersonalised slave terms from less enlightened times.

Pronouns aren't biological though, they're inherently gendered.

A washing machine is neither male nor female, but a little old lady may well refer to it as he or she.

Ships, cars, you name it. None of them are biologically 'sexed'.

Some languages, like Finnish, have no gendered pronouns at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BriT said:

Like most people it’s probably worked fine for most of his life until you meet some weird exception. 

It generally works, people might say 'oh, I'm actually a he, not a she' or vice versa and that's that if you get it wrong.

But if you knew Susie as Jimmy a long time ago and keep calling them Jimmy on purpose, despite them asking you not to? That's just being a dick about it.

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

How did this become such a big issue for you that you even care slightly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Pronouns aren't biological though, they're inherently gendered.

A washing machine is neither male nor female, but a little old lady may well refer to it as he or she.

Ships, cars, you name it. None of them are biologically 'sexed'.

Some languages, like Finnish, have no gendered pronouns at all.

I don’t know if this would help :-

Tricky part: French people often use "machine à laver" - which is feminine - to talk about the washing machine, yet it's really called "lave-linge" - which is masculine.

Probably not.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:58 PM, La Colombe said:

So drag trumps anti racism in the frothy mouth stakes. The absolute state of this thread!

Ok, you've all had long enough now! Fail. You lot will spend hour after hour pointlessly arguing about things you clearly have bugger all actual engagement with. I'm out. You crack on.