Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

You need to go back and read what I wrote.

Trannie is offensive. It stands for TV, not TG or someone who performs in drag. 

It’s Max and you that are confusing terms.

But how did transgender or transitioning come into it? They weren't there until you introduced them. And chinky, spic, polak are hardly comparable, are they? I never thought of transvestite as a nationality.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

But how did transgender or transitioning come into it? They weren't there until you introduced them. And chinky, spic, polak are hardly comparable, are they? I never thought of transvestite as a nationality.

Have you ever though of looking up words on one of those new-fangled computers:

image.png.816e82e8969be5cc7f9ec488273b3839.png

Wikipedia also have a balanced article on the word, though as usual it skews heavily to US usage.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

She’s wrong in her conclusion about drag. It doesn’t prescribe, ridicule or parody women, but challenges men’s reaction to/expectations of women.

Drag usual portrays strong, forthright, outspoken women who get away with things that no one else could say.

Bit like the Jester in mediaeval courts, or the Lord of Misrule at Yule tide.

so what can't women say that men can say for them? If it isn't a parody of a woman, what is it? You've already mentioned the pantomine dame. But, the words I have just typed, came from a woman. Yours didn't. Drag is part of gay culture, not womens. Minstrels were part of white culture, not black. Minstrel was black culture, seen through a white gaze. Drag is womens culture, seen through mans gaze. defend it all you like, they did the minstrels.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Have you ever though of looking up words on one of those new-fangled computers:

image.png.816e82e8969be5cc7f9ec488273b3839.png

Wikipedia also have a balanced article on the word, though as usual it skews heavily to US usage.

I have actually, oh fount of all knowledge, but we are not talking about transitioning or transgender individuals here. Well, we weren't until John came along. I can see how it could be seen as offensive to someone transitioning (maybe - considering how easily people are offended nowadays), but previous to that it was used simply as an abbreviation for transvestite, with no additional pejorative connotation, and I'm sure that this was the context in which Max used it.

Now I appreciate that drag acts see themselves as an art form more exalted than a mere transvestite. It's a matter of opinion, and I share Max's difficulty with seeing it as entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

She’s wrong in her conclusion about drag. It doesn’t prescribe, ridicule or parody women, but challenges men’s reaction to/expectations of women.

Drag usual portrays strong, forthright, outspoken women who get away with things that no one else could say.

Bit like the Jester in mediaeval courts, or the Lord of Misrule at Yule tide.

I mean, not a parody. Really? How else can you describe it? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is Mrs Brown (as in Mrs Brown’s Boys) a drag act? Because that’s definitely shit. I think it’s probably one of the definitions of shit in Roger Mexico’s dictionary. 

Which proves absolutely beyond all doubt the old adage that where there's muck there's money:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/tv/bbc-mrs-browns-boys-brendan-22008174

Nice to know we have our societal values in good order.

Edited by woolley

9 minutes ago, Hoops said:

so what can't women say that men can say for them? If it isn't a parody of a woman, what is it? You've already mentioned the pantomine dame. But, the words I have just typed, came from a woman. Yours didn't. Drag is part of gay culture, not womens. Minstrels were part of white culture, not black. Minstrel was black culture, seen through a white gaze. Drag is womens culture, seen through mans gaze. defend it all you like, they did the minstrels.

Tbh, being 'a lady', drag doesn't bother me, but neither do I  think it is some kind of societal comment on being a women. 

It actually characatures being a woman, in a cartoon way. I definitely don't feel "appropriated".  So, I won't be looking at drag artists to promote or defend women.  I wonder if the parody, which it really is and there is no denying that, is more to do with the performers' own perception of their relationships?  

Absolutely not offended by drag, but let's not place too much importance, eh?