Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

Most of the loudest shouters never set foot in the Guild so why don’t they button it and let others get on with what they do.    Making much more of this than it is ,a class in the Guild amongst many other classes suddenly it is offending the people who live their lives waiting to be offended and enjoying it.   Open mindedness is a great thing why not try it also good for keeping blood pressure down.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HeliX said:

Every single person I know who likes Ru Paul's Drag Race is a woman. Are you sure your wife's reaction isn't caused by your views and prejudices that you've no doubt detailed to her at length repeatedly?

Yes, that's exactly it, little women and all that, which is why Gladys is right that women need drag men to display empowerment for women.

For one so liberal, that's a totally misogynistic statement, Helix.

Edited by Hoops
helix is a twat
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Yes, that's exactly it, little women and all that, which is why Gladys is right that women need drag men to display empowerment for women.

Erm, that is not what I said at all. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

There's nothing misogynistic in my post.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hoops said:

I read John's initial reply to my wife, and typed what she said, minus expletives!

Drag is maybe burlesque, quite possibly inappropriate in this day and age, and really not for the guild.

Minstrels caricature being black, in a cartoon way.

The parody is about the performers and how they feel, with scant regard for women, I would suggest. Not surprising, I suppose, given the zeitgeist of the self-imposed cultural elite.

Quite right. I am surprised that John with his liberal views can defend drag queens 

Drag queens usually appear with unfeasibly  large false breasts as The  Black and white minstrels appeared  with unfeasibly large  lips.

Drag queens make unfeasibly exaggerated movements  ( a la Kenny Everett as Cupid Stunt crossing and uncrossing his legs )as the Black and White Minstrels did with their “jazz hands”

This sort of “ entertainment “ should be as unacceptable in this day and age as the Black and White Minstrels are ( and they were taken off or screen and stage decades ago)

Yes certain people might claim it as historical drama performances which should be allowed to go on in perpetuity like Punch and Judy shows where a man beats up his wife.

But I think the drag queen thing has reached a natural end.

And I’m no snowflake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That’s all very well TVOR, but will nobody think of the children? Who will teach them of the wide smorgasbord of genders if there are no drag queens?

Is drag even needed anymore? I always assumed that if it was a bit ambiguous or unclear to your friends or parents the best way of coming out was probably by putting on a dress and a pair of false tits and belting out “It’s raining men” at the top of your voice down the local working man’s club. But is it really needed now when it’s pretty much accepted by society that it’s totally fine and normal to be gay? The bit I always don’t get is that for the sake of theatre if someone blacked up and sang “Ole man River” in a banana costume then the woke leaning would totally muller them for cultural misappropriation, but it’s still fine for a man to grossly caricature and misappropriate a woman for comedy effect. People aren’t that consistent when they’re looking to be offended. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, offshoremanxman said:

It’s all this inclusivity bollocks. I have no interest in the Guild, and would have even less interest in it if is included watching a 15 year old in drag as part of the “entertainment”. But the only reason they’re doing it is for inclusivity brownie points and little else. Is your 80 year old Aunty Doris who has been going to hear the singing at the Guild for the last 50 years really going to stay for the drag act? It will just alienate a lot of their traditional audience and encourage a few extra noisy virtue signalers to pop in for an hour and swap a few pictures on Instagram about what a laugh it all is. 

Rubbish. It’s because the numbers in classes that Auntie Doris watches have significantly dropped over the years. Those that would have taken a whole morning (and sometimes in to the afternoon) or evening are lucky to have 30 competitors. Rather than let the Guild die a slow death, they are trying new classes. Some work, some don’t. The Battle of the Bands sounded great, but just didn’t get the audience numbers to recover the costs of staging it. 

Edited by 747-400
Whoops-so many typos
  • Like 2

I am one of the traditional audience you are on about and it has not alienated me or any of the guild friends I go with, every year since the year dot, we do not watch every class we choose, some of us may go to the drag class others not it is simply giving people the choice.    Offshore Manxman by his own admission has no interest in the Guild but he now apparently feels qualified to speak for people who attend every year….how very dare he….his own opinion we have to respect but he should not be spouting about other peoples.    He sets himself up as an expert on everything when really he just like to stir and argue…..sad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Offshore Manxman by his own admission has no interest in the Guild but he now apparently feels qualified to speak for people who attend every year….how very dare he….his own opinion we have to respect but he should not be spouting about other peoples.    He sets himself up as an expert on everything when really he just like to stir and argue…..sad.

For the forum misogynist (and main pointless arguer) you’re really putting up a good argument for being able to dress up as women 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

That’s all very well TVOR, but will nobody think of the children? Who will teach them of the wide smorgasbord of genders if there are no drag queens?

I don’t think two genders constitute a smorgasbord? 🙂

OK maybe male, female and “don’t know” may make it three but I’m not convinced