Where do you see the Isle of Man in 10 years

CallMeCurious

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

What water source were you going to use?

Did you actually have a distiller lined up? 

Pretty much what Victory have done, sink a borehole. And yes, we did have a distiller. He ended up working with Fynoderee for a year before going back to the USA.

Its a shame how things worked out. I’d put about 4 years work into it, with various options. One was a full business plan for repurposing Laxey  Glen Mills. We also looked at a single estate concept for Knockaloe, and the old Marine Labs. 

I think the sector will likely grow for the Island, just not at the scale we were envisioning. Too bold most probably.

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Pretty much what Victory have done, sink a borehole. And yes, we did have a distiller. He ended up working with Fynoderee for a year before going back to the USA.

Its a shame how things worked out. I’d put about 4 years work into it, with various options. One was a full business plan for repurposing Laxey  Glen Mills. We also looked at a single estate concept for Knockaloe, and the old Marine Labs. 

I think the sector will likely grow for the Island, just not at the scale we were envisioning. Too bold most probably.

Personally not sure you missed out on much with that particular individual, or possibly dodged a bullet. My opinion and that of a few people in industry. 

Interesting though, wasn't aware of that. 

Few springing up and doing ok. Fynoderee doing reasonably well. Not a massive fan of the product personally, but each to their own. Think you have to do something special with gin to stand out as it's such a crowded market. 

The Outlier boys are honest folk and have a couple of decent products and one very good one. 

Most interesting for me is Manx Whiskey Co and am pretty excited about their stuff. Think it will be a premium price, from what I understand. 

That said, I'm sure we have scope in terms of mass etc, but if it's just going to contribute into the river of average stuff out there already, I can't say it would excite me. It's also not a lucrative market and becoming more crowded all the time. Beer even more so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

No. The highest was Dalwhinnie, which we would have beaten by about 100 feet! 

Someone has now opened one on Snake Pass which is proper high

Dartmoor still claims to be the highest distillery in the British Isles, and is higher than the Bungalow. Dalwhinnie is the highest in Scotland (been a few times).

Forest distillery in the Peak District is on the cat and fiddle pass, not Snake Pass and is definitely higher than Dartmoor, so I think Dartmoor need to check their claim 😉 

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Dartmoor still claims to be the highest distillery in the British Isles, and is higher than the Bungalow. Dalwhinnie is the highest in Scotland (been a few times).

Forest distillery in the Peak District is on the cat and fiddle pass, not Snake Pass and is definitely higher than Dartmoor, so I think Dartmoor need to check their claim 😉 

That's the one. Thanks for the correction 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Personally not sure you missed out on much with that particular individual, or possibly dodged a bullet. My opinion and that of a few people in industry. 

Interesting though, wasn't aware of that. 

Few springing up and doing ok. Fynoderee doing reasonably well. Not a massive fan of the product personally, but each to their own. Think you have to do something special with gin to stand out as it's such a crowded market. 

The Outlier boys are honest folk and have a couple of decent products and one very good one. 

Most interesting for me is Manx Whiskey Co and am pretty excited about their stuff. Think it will be a premium price, from what I understand. 

That said, I'm sure we have scope in terms of mass etc, but if it's just going to contribute into the river of average stuff out there already, I can't say it would excite me. It's also not a lucrative market and becoming more crowded all the time. Beer even more so. 

Spot on. Fynoderee are starting to run whisky soon, and their rum is nice.

My blueprint was The Lakes at Bassenthwaite. They have achieved incredible things. The sweet spot has passed generally though. It would cost twice as much to set up a large scale operation as it would have done five years ago.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Spot on. Fynoderee are starting to run whisky soon, and their rum is nice.

My blueprint was The Lakes at Bassenthwaite. They have achieved incredible things. The sweet spot has passed generally though. It would cost twice as much to set up a large scale operation as it would have done five years ago.

Far from convinced by Fynoderee whiskey. Stupidly expensive in ‘collectors edition’ too. Original plan was to sell new make spirit! 

Was in there recently and the service was bordering on negligent. 

Sadly for him won’t even be first pure Manx whiskey as Manx whiskey company will beat them to it (will be ready December this year). If I had to hazard a guess I’d say it will be superior too. The rum is ok. Not a fan of spiced and favourites come from Jamaica and Barbados. 

lakes is a good distillery. You’d be forgiven for thinking the whiskey wasn’t English 😉

Construction costs and inflation  the reason for your last paragraph? 

I’ve invested a little in a couple of things recently. One on the Isle of Man that deals in quality spirits. 

Something new for here and interesting concept. 

Yes, costs and inflation have spiraled. I think now the sweet spot has also passed, certainly for gin although rum shows promise. You need something stand out to disrupt today’s market though.

I learned a lot on the journey though, about business, Government, and most importantly myself. Every day’s a school day.

I learned a lot on the journey though, about business, Government, and most importantly myself. Every day’s a school day.

Imagine if you can, being a fairly serious business person, government official or politician meeting with a serving copper with no business credentials who talks in constant meaningless buzzwords partnered with a complete blithering 'marketing genius', who can't stop telling obvious porkies, that's good crack down the winebar, but was never going anywhere if it required others to buy in. 

Edited by HiVibes
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Imagine if you can, being a fairly serious business person, government official or politician meeting with a serving copper with no business credentials who talks in constant meaningless buzzwords partnered with a complete blithering 'marketing genius', who can't stop telling obvious porkies, that's good crack down the winebar, but was never going anywhere if it required others to buy in. 

Ffs give it a rest. 

You think many of our government officials would make good business leaders. 

also there a number of severely incompetent business leaders. 

At least Derek takes the time to answer the questions and continued side swipes of him, all under his own name and not a pseudonym like most of its (me included). 

If I’d have known about this at the time would have been happy to help if i could and it’s sad it didn’t transpire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Ffs give it a rest. 

You think many of our government officials would make good business leaders. 

You are making stuff up there, no I don't think they are good business leaders but if you want to get peoples buy in they need to trust who you are and that you are credible. 

Yes, costs and inflation have spiraled. I think now the sweet spot has also passed, certainly for gin although rum shows promise. You need something stand out to disrupt today’s market though.

A day when you don't learn something is a day wasted. Or day stuck on a rock somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You are only ever stuck, if you suck.

You a fantastic business leader are you? C’mon don’t be modest, tell us which venture you lead that is turning over millions in profit. 

I have heard of many good ideas put in front of government that haven’t got support. But, the point I was making is, they are short sighted as they will want the instant income of a cafe than the lomg term potential of a distillery. 

They aren’t business people and never will be. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You a fantastic business leader are you? C’mon don’t be modest, tell us which venture you lead that is turning over millions in profit. 

I have heard of many good ideas put in front of government that haven’t got support. But, the point I was making is, they are short sighted as they will want the instant income of a cafe than the lomg term potential of a distillery. 

They aren’t business people and never will be. 

I don't make millions per annum, though I do know the difference between turnover and profit if you want me to give you some advice.

I am sure that cafe probably could have been a distillery, maybe a harder sell, but if the government had a credible business interested why would they have a problem?.