Where do you see the Isle of Man in 10 years

CallMeCurious

I say this with no animosity toward the place I used to call home.

It is in a very bad place, despite the Labour gov in the UK trying to make you pay your own way with the VAT renegotiation 2008/9?, the VAT take has, from what I can see in the Pink Book crept back up to silly amounts when you try and balance the actual spend on the island against how much VAT it gets back.

It is quite clear that The Tories will not win the next UK election and therefore this island will be subject to serious scrutiny again and likely have its VAT take at least halved (Like last time)  - Which is what I can work out on the back of a fag packet.

The island only exists tax wise because it suits the "City" and unfortunately the Labour lot don't like to see blatant tax avoidance/ evasion (Cant remember which of these are so called "legal")

The island is screwed again, but much more than in 2008/9 but this time you have blown your overpayment of VAT on CS and PS people and taking on a huge public sector workforce.

At least last time, you were found out, you had blown it on infrastructure............................... LOOK AT THE FIGURES, LAST TIME there was a cut in VAT payments he island had approx. 38% less public sector employees, Hell the Cabinet Office did not even exist then..................

I cant see a good outcome in a couple of years

If you own a home, sell it ASAP and rent if you are into BDSM

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, no it is not. The opposition is utterly hopeless and enough of the electorate are as thick as fuck for the tories to smash it again.

So the islands economic model and future planning is based on a hope that the Tories get in power again, it aint happening peeps..

Jesus H Christ , you would be better trying Smuggling again, Drugs? Money Laundry? Or e gaming? 

Last one is covered until Chairman X stops it in a swipe of their finger......

4 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

So the islands economic model and future planning is based on a hope that the Tories get in power again, it aint happening peeps..

Jesus H Christ , you would be better trying Smuggling again, Drugs? Money Laundry? Or e gaming? 

Last one is covered until Chairman X stops it in a swipe of their finger......

To be clear, I do not want the conservatives to win the next election.

I'm not sure there is any point in discussing the islands future with someone as bitter as you. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

I say this with no animosity toward the place I used to call home.

You’re starting to sound like Barrie Stevens when he posted here after he left the IOM. Always used to enjoy your posts back in the day but this one is quite spiteful. If you’ve left you’ve left, don’t pop in just to slag the place off if you’ve made that decision to move. Personally I think the UK is heading (and is already in) a huge recession which is going to decimate huge parts of the retail economy. I think the IOM is going to get it fairly bad and that’s unraveling now but the considerable concentration of finance and e-gaming here will keep jobs and spending afloat slightly better than the UK. You’re right a Labour government is almost guaranteed but it won’t make much difference. They’re going to inherit the biggest economic turd ever dropped and will be so busy trying to save UK jobs and UK businesses that they won’t be bothered about anything we do. We’ll also get a lot of the escapees we get every time a labour government gets in and threatens to over tax. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

You’re starting to sound like Barrie Stevens when he posted here after he left the IOM. Always used to enjoy your posts back in the day but this one is quite spiteful. If you’ve left you’ve left, don’t pop in just to slag the place off if you’ve made that decision to move. Personally I think the UK is heading (and is already in) a huge recession which is going to decimate huge parts of the retail economy. I think the IOM is going to get it fairly bad and that’s unraveling now but the considerable concentration of finance and e-gaming here will keep jobs and spending afloat slightly better than the UK. You’re right a Labour government is almost guaranteed but it won’t make much difference. They’re going to inherit the biggest economic turd ever dropped and will be so busy trying to save UK jobs and UK businesses that they won’t be bothered about anything we do. We’ll also get a lot of the escapees we get every time a labour government gets in and threatens to over tax. 

Don't work like that these days, it isn't the 70s any more.

9 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Don't work like that these days, it isn't the 70s any more.

It does I’m afraid. The UK has had a few years of TINO’s (Tory’s In Name Only) already post covid and there is no real threat posed by a Labour Government to us. In fact a Labour Government will formalize what the Tories have been doing anyway which is taxing the UK to death and killing the economy via a doomed Brexit agenda.

Edited by offshoremanxman

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

The island would be wise to start preparing for the next Labour Government. 2024 is creeping closer and the prospects of the Conservatives winning a majority appear slim. 

VAT 'renegotiation' anyone?

The Tories won’t possibly win but this time round Labour isn’t going to be the traditional threat we think it is. The UK economy is in the toilet and Brexit has crippled things even worse. In 2 years time almost the entire focus of the UK Government will be managing all those infrastructure contracts they’ll be handed out to rebuild Ukraine in return for all the military support they given in the last year. That is the entire Brexit economic counter play they’ve managed to come up with so far. 

The island always gets along much better with Labour governments than simplistic thinkers imagine that it will.

And the island has got lots of slack to give away as concessions to OECD, future UK governments etc. It has done well to keep its powder fairly dry.

@Blade Runner is doing a @Derek Flint . The island will be fine.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The island always gets along much better with Labour governments than simplistic thinkers imagine that it will.

And the island has got lots of slack to give away as concessions to OECD, future UK governments etc. It has done well to keep its powder fairly dry.

@Blade Runner is doing a @Derek Flint . The island will be fine.

Please do enlighten us about this magical lost of concessions and slack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Please do enlighten us about this magical lost of concessions and slack.

You're going to have to use your own nous to figure it out. If you've got one :)

But think of all of the things which have been demanded and suggested over the years and which could easily have been given up without any significant impact on the economy.