Where do you see the Isle of Man in 10 years

CallMeCurious

Rails laid down across the Island instead of roads and we now have horses pulling our cars. 

It's made the TT awkward but much slower and safer. 

A hybrid road tax system calculated upon the methane emissions of the horses has increased govt revenue 1000%

Comrade Daffers omnipotent ruler of Green Cartel who are now powersharing govt with Gandey's Circus are using the increased revenue to fund the felt producing internment camps for the population that have expressed independent thought and opinions. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I'm out in Malta.

I tell you, this is the way to run things!

Seriously?

https://www.transparency.org/en/blog/cpi-2020-malta-lost-in-corruption

https://intpolicydigest.org/corruption-continues-to-course-through-malta/

Oh and they blow up journalists investigating!

11 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The way to run things how? Malta is a corrupt dump where almost nothing politically works unless you bribe someone. 

It is unashamedly corrupt. But the investment is massive. Eu money provides great infrastructure and within that bubble it does pretty much what it likes.

I think what I'm.trying to say is that it has balls. For an island there's a lot to learn about punching well above one's weight.

It doesn't seem to suffer from Manx inertia 

On 2/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, offshoremanxman said:

Personally I think the UK is heading (and is already in) a huge recession which is going to decimate huge parts of the retail economy. I think the IOM is going to get it fairly bad and that’s unraveling now but the considerable concentration of finance and e-gaming here will keep jobs and spending afloat slightly better than the UK.

I think you’re absolutely correct, and there are already lots of smaller businesses shutting up shop because it simply isn’t viable to stay open.

The knock on effects, especially if they’re a big customer of local suppliers, isn’t insignificant either.

I’m not sure how the Island will weather it when the 22p a unit price caps lift though. At least it isn’t as bad as commercial rates across, where a contract for £1+ a unit can seem a bargain compared to out of contract rates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It is unashamedly corrupt. But the investment is massive. Eu money provides great infrastructure and within that bubble it does pretty much what it likes.

I think what I'm.trying to say is that it has balls. For an island there's a lot to learn about punching well above one's weight.

It doesn't seem to suffer from Manx inertia 

I was trying to think of a more eloquent way to describe it other than Manx Crabs. 

I believe the IOM used to punch above it's weight, but Govt incompetence. impotence and a lack of inertia has crushed this. 

Is that better than just being downright corrupt and criminal?