Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

many motorcyclists and the convertible rollerskates brigade , on the same theme you could have a chelsea tractor for just winter use and also be on a winner 

No idea of the total number who are fairweather drivers/riders but there are two households in our small cul-de-sac who only drag their m/cycles out during clement weather.

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Which would be fair enough. Surely if you only use a vehicle for half a year you should pay for half ayear

You aren’t exactly on the breadline if you have a spare car hanging around that you only use for half a year. It would be better to actually help people who need a car every day to earn a wage to pay for the tax in a more affordable way. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You aren’t exactly on the breadline if you have a spare car hanging around that you only use for half a year. It would be better to actually help people who need a car every day to earn a wage to pay for the tax in a more affordable way. 

I agree. But road tax should not be the way that wealth is re distributed from the rich to the poor. Robin Hood was a made up character.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. But road tax should not be the way that wealth is re distributed from the rich to the poor. Robin Hood was a made up character.

You can pay for almost any item on instalments in this day and age apart from anything payable to IOMG who need cash largely up front to fund the bloat, 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But road tax should not be the way that wealth is re distributed from the rich to the poor.

This is the IoM. You've got it the wrong way around...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, x-in-man said:

The world and his wife can check to see if a vehicle is taxed these days .. how much will scrapping that pointless little disc for the windscreen save?

https://services.gov.im/vehicles-driving/vehicle-search

Theyre going to replace the pointless little disc with the summons because you forgot to pay the tax !

Edited by tucker
spelling

Is the 6 mth license a full license??? Some on here seem to think it is a short license but is it is not a two part payment to a full years license???

Isn't it just a two part payment to a full years license??? Pay half, then you are obliged to pay the second half of the year??? I sympathise with those who have 'summer' only bikes or vintage cars but there are already concession rates for these.

If you have vintage vehicle, you have to accept the costs of these?

15 hours ago, finlo said:

They're usually sent out a month in advance, hoping to cash grab a month early I suppose.

I just renewed my car tax at the post office ,last year my car was showing as untaxed 3 months after i taxed it ,i wonder how long it will take this year ? (no ,it wasnt the post office at fault )

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is the 6 mth license a full license??? Some on here seem to think it is a short license but is it is not a two part payment to a full years license???

Isn't it just a two part payment to a full years license??? Pay half, then you are obliged to pay the second half of the year??? I sympathise with those who have 'summer' only bikes or vintage cars but there are already concession rates for these.

If you have vintage vehicle, you have to accept the costs of these?

Its a licence for either 6 or 12 months. There is nothing to stop you taxing a car:bile/motorhome just for 6 months, then leave it sat untaxed for the other 6 months, provided its not on the public highway whilst untaxed (aka doing a “Moore”).

As a private vehicle only needs a Roadworthiness Test if untaxed for 2 years, you could carry buying “seasonal” tax indefinitely..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1