Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Off peak charging  makes  lot of sense as it will take the excess from the grid. 

Contrary to popular myth you don't need to have an electric car to get cheap off peak electricity. 

Just need to switch to electric heating and it's  cheaper than the EV tariff.

However just like for EV you will need an upfront investment.

Most people  moving  from a ICE to an EV are unlikely to go back to an ICE car (except those who end up with range anxiety but that's not an issue on island)

ICE cannot match the performance on an ev ( instant acceleration etc ) plus the one pedal driving  is a bonus.  Most EV haters  have never driven one 

EV is  not for everyone..  I love EV 's and have one .  If driving  only a few miles a day ( say 1 or 2 k miles a year)   then  a ICE engine car may be better from the nett cost point of view.  Charging issues are also another thing for those in flats etc ..

Also as much as I like EV Tech I still think there is a lot of progress to be made . While it's fine as an only car for on island use , I still use my ICE engine car if I'm going anywhere beyond North of England.

Must be nice to be able to afford such vehicles  

• Like 1

If you look at nett running Costs over a 5 year period EV is cheaper for me.( cost per mile / cost to maintain/ service  are all cheaper/ there are also less things that  can go wrong ) 

Agree that there is still a significant gap in pricing  between the price of EV and non EV cars of similar model but this is getting  lesser with time. 

Automatics vs manual cars used to be like that maybe a decade ago but these days the price gap is not much.

I think the government move to tax EV's is very fair. There are already enough perks with EV ownership anyway ( BIK exemptij for example) . Also the UK has significantly tapered down their EV grants anyway ( the ones the IOM never had) 

Edited by mad_manx

5 hours ago, WTF said:

but at the end of the line which is more efficient , 35% under the bonnet or whatever at the power station with all the incurred energy losses getting the power into the vehicle batteries from the powerstation..

35% is when the engine is warm and running optimally. At start-up it can be a lot less. And the island is small, most journeys are on a cold engine here.

But yes, generation isn't 100% efficient and transmission loses energy too. 

I don't have an EV but have hired a Leaf a few times, and when my ICE cars need replacing I'll probably go EV. The performance with a Leaf knocks spots off my ICE Fiesta.

I still think hydrogen is the way forward though.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, offshoremanxman said:

Name and address withheld. I bet Josem wrote that. 

I'll take that bet: I'll take the side that I did not write that. £10 to the Isle of Man Foodbank?

I really think that reputable media outlets in the Isle of Man (and elsewhere) should start upholding higher standards on such things, and start following the guidelines of Associated Press or similar on the issue of anonymous sources.

29 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It never bloody is - it should be.

'down to individual departments to review their charges'.

Another waste of money.

Allinson is having a laugh. No Department is going to conduct a meaningful review because they've got no incentive to do so. If they do, their budgets will be cut for the next year accordingly and we all know how hard they try to avoid that (surfacing Sloc etc).

"Savings" means one thing and one thing only, that is increasing charges to the public. Civil Service culture is expansion only and ours is an authority on the subject, particularly in light of a total lack of political control. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is good it is not included in the budget it would have been passed with little discussion and the budget is accepted as a whole.   Some parts of that budget would have been unpalatable to individual members of Tynwald but they had to vote on the whole package, at least this way the MHKs who have had remarks and thoughts from their constituents will get  to question and debate this.   It will probably go through but not without some dissention.    Now is the time to have a hard word on your MHK if you do not agree with the increase or disagree with the £12 a year extra it will cost to pay six monthly.   I have and will be taking note 🙄.

• Like 1