Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

So there will be less revenue for the government as people who can afford motor homes etc will just tax their vehicles for 6 months and the deficit will be made up by the rest of us suckers paying an extra 10% on work vans and family cars…..whoever thought this up is a right plonker.    You could not make this up a new level of incompetence and that is difficult for he DOI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So there will be less revenue for the government as people who can afford motor homes etc will just tax their vehicles for 6 months and the deficit will be made up by the rest of us suckers paying an extra 10% on work vans and family cars…..whoever thought this up is a right plonker.    You could not make this up a new level of incompetence and that is difficult for he DOI.

Assumption and vitriol in one comment!

DoI's 2021 intention was responding to a longstanding demand which was a different to the one you have. This was for "six-monthly payments with a 10 per cent premium for those whose car tax comes to more than £200 per year", citing Manx Radio report of the time.

What you want is a direct debit or payment plan approach. That is under development given some legal, financial and practical issues. 

8 hours ago, Nellie said:

I have a 'classic' car which I only use in the summer months. It is not old enough to yet be treated as 'classic' for tax purposes. The current tax expires in May 2023. As I understand it, I will be able to tax it for 6 months and pay 50% tax, plus £6. I will then leave it untaxed and off the road until the following April/May, then repeat the process.

I imagine many owners of similar vehicles will do this. 

I agree. I can't see why anyone would think that this was unfair. It seems perfectly reasonable and fair to me. If a car is off the road why would you have to tax it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Thomas said:

DoI's 2021 intention was 

Current Government summed up nicely. The right intention is usually there the end result though tells us something else though and costs more.

The intention was to create a beautiful and functioning sea front to Douglas

The intention was to build an affordable and functional ferry terminal in Liverpool

The intention was to build a maritime museum but we spent £5m on a shed for a rowing boat

The intention was………

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

The intention was………

I think what we’re seeing here is that the DOIs voracious need for money is being prioritized over the needs of low income workers who don’t have the money. Not being able to pay by DD (like a lot of people pay their car insurance) in this day and age is mad. And charging £6 to collect an installment is equally mad but if it’s only for camper van owners or third car or summer bikers I sort of get it as these aren’t poor people who can afford to pay for the privilege. They’re people who don’t need the vehicle to do anything as it’s a toy or leisure item. So we’ve actually not done anything for low income people who are struggling at all other than allowing them to pay 50% of their tax not 100% of their tax but with a 10% surcharge? It’s a complete waste of effort if that’s the outcome. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Confused 1

As previously posted, in times past there was a six month tax option but no extra charge for it IIRC.

Under the new arrangements though with the new fee, will it really be worth taxing a motorcycle for only six months? Or a classic car? Bike tax (was) £25 annually. So £12.50 + £6 for the privilege = £18.50?  Hardly worth bothering?

How much of the take actually gets spent on the roads again?

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think what we’re seeing here is that the DOIs voracious need for money is being prioritized over the needs of low income workers who don’t have the money. Not being able to pay by DD (like a lot of people pay their car insurance) in this day and age is mad. And charging £6 to collect an installment is equally mad but if it’s only for camper van owners or third car or summer bikers I sort of get it as these aren’t poor people who can afford to pay for the privilege. They’re people who don’t need the vehicle to do anything as it’s a toy or leisure item. So we’ve actually not done anything for low income people who are struggling at all other than allowing them to pay 50% of their tax not 100% of their tax but with a 10% surcharge? It’s a complete waste of effort if that’s the outcome. 

I think your points do not really make sense. But I do agree, why charge the £6? It's just petty and is going to be outrageously unpopular. Most people will tax for 6 months because they dont have the cash. The stuff about classic cars/motorhomes is trivial and not worth arguing about.

@Chris Thomas you need to ditch the £6

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think your points do not really make sense. But I do agree, why charge the £6? It's just petty and is going to be outrageously unpopular. Most people will tax for 6 months because they dont have the cash. The stuff about classic cars/motorhomes is trivial and not worth arguing about.

@Chris Thomas you need to ditch the £6

No most people will tax for 6 months as it’s a spare vehicle for their leisure use. If people need a car to support their needs they need it 12 months of the year. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. I can't see why anyone would think that this was unfair. It seems perfectly reasonable and fair to me. If a car is off the road why would you have to tax it.

along those lines,  maybe people should be paying a road duty for themselves as they can only drive one car/vehicle at a time and the actual vehicles don't need any discs or payments at all.   most people only have one driving lucence that covers all their vehicles.

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think your points do not really make sense. But I do agree, why charge the £6? It's just petty and is going to be outrageously unpopular.

What you’ll find is the collection costs are so high as to pay by installments you have to ring Doris in the DOI. Who then sends you out a form you have to fill in with a pen, to provide your bank details in, so that tou can post it back in and they can then write to the bank to ask them for the payment you authorized. Then when they get paid you’ll get a typed letter through the post with an 80p stamp on it confirming recipt of your payment. 

38 minutes ago, BriT said:

What you’ll find is the collection costs are so high as to pay by installments you have to ring Doris in the DOI. Who then sends you out a form you have to fill in with a pen, to provide your bank details in, so that tou can post it back in and they can then write to the bank to ask them for the payment you authorized. Then when they get paid you’ll get a typed letter through the post with an 80p stamp on it confirming recipt of your payment. 

I wasn’t talking about instalments. Just being able to pay 6 months on the spot rather than 12