Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

2 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Current Government summed up nicely. The right intention is usually there the end result though tells us something else though and costs more.

The intention was to create a beautiful and functioning sea front to Douglas

The intention was to build an affordable and functional ferry terminal in Liverpool

The intention was to build a maritime museum but we spent £5m on a shed for a rowing boat

The intention was………

The promenade to hell is paved with good intentions.

We should think ourselves lucky that it's *only* an increase, with no other changes

43 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’ve sold the old one to swagelok for in excess of £2m I understand & tge new one was built on land already owned so don’t suppose the net amount was high 

That’s just the bricks and steel.  If was filled with all new kit and the old stuff auctioned off to add profit for a local auction house (is there a tender process for government stock auctioning these days).  These are the other costs for the centre. 

This stuff doesn’t come cheap.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

They’ve sold the old one to swagelok for in excess of £2m I understand & tge new one was built on land already owned so don’t suppose the net amount was high 

Swagelok reputedly threatened to pull out of the Island if they didn't get the site or at least first dibs on it.

The inhabitants of the new Test Centre are less than impressed with their new facility, claiming that it's already inadequate for any new testing regime and additional classes of vehicle coming onstream and that their input and requests weren't listened to during the planning stages. No change there then.

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The inhabitants of the new Test Centre are less than impressed with their new facility, claiming that it's already inadequate .. and additional classes .. and that their input and requests weren't listened to during the planning stages. No change there then.

There was a school built not that long ago where the same things happened.

Still, someone got a new AUDI and posh watch out of it - and others got further Government contracts that were, well, to put it bluntly - fucked up big time.

I suspect CRHS is long over due because of the lessons that were learned .. and procedures are being put into place to stop it ever happening again.

Ha! - Bazinga!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The world and his wife can check to see if a vehicle is taxed these days .. how much will scrapping that pointless little disc for the windscreen save?

https://services.gov.im/vehicles-driving/vehicle-search

It will no doubt only be scrapped if/when they spend millions on a new live ANPR system instead. The amount of cars I see with bald tyres and no tax would suggest the odds of being caught are actually pretty slim or that it also shows the deterrent isn’t big enough.

4 hours ago, Banker said:

The land already owned was given up for sports as part of the complex up there years ago. I'm pretty sure either the rugby club and/or the football had plans for that land at one point. I wonder if they were put off the idea by DoI knowing full well that it was going to be used for other purposes?

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I bet they don’t, how many people have summer only leisure vehicles

many motorcyclists and the convertible rollerskates brigade , on the same theme you could have a chelsea tractor for just winter use and also be on a winner