Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

5 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

You did not ask about fuel duty. Both it and vehicle duty are actually general revenue items for Treasury.

Two things not quite right with Mr Peters' figures are that capital road schemes wil be larger than the figure cited here and roads maintenance is only part of what is spent on highways division as there is much more to highways expenditure than just the item spent on contractors for highways maintenance.

I will discuss further with DoI motorist champion.

I didn't wish to involve fuel duty, it is a separate item.

Your Tynwald colleague Mr Peters has indicated that over 3 years, £40M was collected in VED. Including capital expense only £28M was spent on roads in that 3 years.

You stated that highways expenditure was greater than was raised in VED. Clearly that is not the case going on Mr Peters' figures.

Now, who are we to believe?

Just now, Chris Thomas said:

Please report untaxed vehicles on the app. Not being taxed is one factor in determining the abandonment of a vehicle since law changes introduced relatively recently. 

That's fine, when the vehicle is continuously in one place, and gives the appearance of being disused, or abandoned. But what about vehicles which are being used regularly, without displaying valid tax disc. Perhaps this could be an option on the app. so at least the DoI get a free 'heads-up' they could then pursue their internal processes for dealing with such reports?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you want you can look at the revenue and capital scheme accounts for recent years and make up your own mind. All the information is public. There are rolling and discrete capital schemes, and highways division expenditure includes design, network management, enforcement, quarrying for highways materials, licensing, footpaths etc..

4 minutes ago, Nellie said:

That's fine, when the vehicle is continuously in one place, and gives the appearance of being disused, or abandoned. But what about vehicles which are being used regularly, without displaying valid tax disc. Perhaps this could be an option on the app. so at least the DoI get a free 'heads-up' they could then pursue their internal processes for dealing with such reports?

Thanks for excellent feedback and suggestion. More untaxed vehicles are being taken off the roads now compared to previously.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Ruck up at any school at pick up time and you'll see any amount of "rented" white Audi's and the like with bald tyres and no tax in a desperate attempt to keep up with the Joneses!

21 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

DoI and Post Office have been trying to do that for a couple of years, but Government has not approved funds for project as yet. I am hoping it will shortly.

Wait what! You're looking to spunk more money to do away with something!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

You are right that the 2021 vehicle duty order was withdrawn so vehicle duty has not increased since 2020.

Differently from across, more is spent on highways each year than is raised with vehicle duty when revenue and capital schemes are combined.

Tynwald is being asked to approve increases in vehicle duty in March Tynwald. The order will have been registered in public for six weeks before that debate and vote.

Chris

Thanks for coming on here and sticking your head above the parapet.

Simple question:-

Do you think that £358 annual road tax  (VED or whatever it may be called) for a 2010 registered sub 2, 000 cc saloon car ( diesel) with the increase to come is reasonable?

A simple yes  or no would suffice

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Chris

Thanks for coming on here and sticking your head above the parapet.

Simple question:-

Do you think that £358 annual road tax  (VED or whatever it may be called) for a 2010 registered sub 2, 000 cc saloon car ( diesel) with the increase to come is reasonable?

A simple yes  or no would suffice

Thanks for comment and question. I have to say yes now, as I am moving order. But Government and Tynwald have been shying away from fundamental review of vehicle duty for a few years and this review would cover this sort of question. I am hoping that reform is initiated with approval of the forthcoming vehicle duty order with effect from 1/4/2023 and then there will be further engagement about further reform will a call for evidence about the proposal for duty from 1/4/2024.

Edited by Chris Thomas

51 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

You will have to provide the evidence. I think motorcycles are increased to £28. I will apologise if I am wrong of course.

Page seven,two pages after the one with your name on,as recently put together as this month,that evidence you mean?

https://tynwald.im/spfile?src=cots12&file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-SD-0063.pdf

No apology required,but confirmation evidence of a £28 fee would be appreciated,as opposed to what you "think" it might be.

Edited by display name

2 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for comment and question. I have to say yes now, as I am moving order. But Government and Tynwald have been shying away from fundamental review of vehicle duty for a few years and this review would cover this sort of question. I am hoping that reform is initiated with approval of the forthcoming vehicle duty order with effect from 1/4/2023 and then there will be further engagement about further reform will a call for evidence about the proposal for duty from 1/4/2024.

Just freeze the rates at present and work on the reform with effect from 1/4/2024

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thank you for your answer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, display name said:

Page seven,two pages after the one with your name on,as recently put together as this month,that evidence you mean?

https://tynwald.im/spfile?src=cots12&file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-SD-0063.pdf

No apology required,but confirmation evidence of a £28 fee would be appreciated,as opposed to what you "think" it might be.

Isn't this the quote from schedule 1 which is relevant to motorcycles:

"Category A, A1 and P The rate of vehicle duty chargeable for a Category A, A1 and P vehicle is £28"

Please email highways to confirm if you think I am wrong. Thanks so much for your attention and appreciate proof-reading and feedback.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Isn't this the quote from schedule 1 which is relevant to motorcycles:

"Category A, A1 and P The rate of vehicle duty chargeable for a Category A, A1 and P vehicle is £28"

Please email highways to confirm if you think I am wrong. Thanks so much for your attention and appreciate proof-reading and feedback.

I stand corrected said the man in orthopedic shoes. Proof reading glasses now buffed to a shine.  I confused myself with the engine capacity class of 50 125 etc. 

Edited to add thank you for pointing out my feeble proof reading skills today.

Edited by display name
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Just freeze the rates at present and work on the reform with effect from 1/4/2024

Thanks for comment. If that happened, 6 month duty option and fairer charging for electric vehicles etc. would not be in place, and DoI Highways Division would not be able to meet its Treasury/Tynwald approved income target so highways expenditure would be at risk. Vehicle duty has not been increased since 2020 and 10% increase for most vehicle types is a below inflation increase since 2020.

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I didn't wish to involve fuel duty, it is a separate item.

Your Tynwald colleague Mr Peters has indicated that over 3 years, £40M was collected in VED. Including capital expense only £28M was spent on roads in that 3 years.

You stated that highways expenditure was greater than was raised in VED. Clearly that is not the case going on Mr Peters' figures.

They've got to find the money for the toy trains and trams from somewhere.

• Like 2